Thursday, April 3, 2008

The End is Near - or is it the Beginning

Got my Qualifying Project presented (did a mock New Mother's Group)...now all that remains is the party on Saturday for the host families and the language test on Sunday or Monday.....I've really been studying. Lugandan is not easy...there are so many verb tenses and noun classes and the prefixes vary with each class. You can say "good child" omwana mulungi, good children is abanna balungi. Good book is ekitabo kilungi; good books..ebitabo bilungi...and it goes on and on...there are 12 noun classes. No wonder I'm struggling. Maybe all languages are this hard and I just haven't had to learn one. Or maybe it is harder for old folk.

On Monday afternoon we go to Kampala; Tuesday is a reception at the Embassy; Wednesday we can go shopping - there are really some very nice (American style) shops in Kampala...mainly run by South Africans. I don't need to get much since I won't be in my apartment till mid-May and the current PCV is leaving stuff, but it's fun to look. So excited to get yougurt and raising at the Shop Rite grocery. It doesn't take much to get excited these days. Even past tense prefixes and very tenses varies with 3 hours ago/4-24 hours ago and more than 24 hours ago...so you have to think "how long ago was it" plus what's the prefix and tense!!! UGH!! But I think it will be important...many of the adult residents at Providence House don't speak English and it is important to be able to chat w. them...maybe in the language of about a three year old, but they appreciate it.

It will be hard leaving everyone here, but I really am excited about having my own place. Holly and Shari will be wonderful companions. Also, I have electricity and running water which many of the PCV's don't have so I'm not complaining. The town is nice and we're close to lots of services - the matato ride is a killer, but it's not that long. Some people are 6-8 hours out of Kampala. Maria took about 9 hours by bus to Kbale...but her site is very nice and the country is beautiful. I'll get out there after our settling in period.

Hope everyone is well. I know I sound like I'm begging but if you want to send books or comfort foods (whatever would comfort you) padded envelopes take about 4 weeks (like letters) and boxes take 2 months or more. Zip lock bags are nice w. everything. It's all relative in the scheme of two years!! I really appreciate your letters...and your prayers. I haven't been sick yet tho' many have - traveling seems to bring it on plus we all got flu shots Tuesday (Southern Hemisphere variety).

Looked at the comments - you're right Mary...there is plenty to spend the mission money on, but I'm going to wait to find the right thing. Want it to be for something that has some sustainability - animals, garden, workshop....the old "teach them to fish" idea. Got to go...some of the girls got clothes made and they are having a fashion show....I didn't. Don't really think I'd wear the local fashions.

Take care. Hope all is well with your all. Again, thanks for your prayers!!! I can feel them.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Newspapers on the way--hope they make it as I didn't use a padded envelope. I'll pick up some comfort food and send next. It sounds like Lugandan is very difficult--no wonder so many people want to learn English--it sounds easier to learn. Take care.

Julie

Dianna Smith said...

Hi Kathy,
We miss your smile! I always look over at the "Westerman" church pew and miss you!

I will be mailing packages soon...I just finished "Pillars of the Earth." If you haven't read it yet...I'll mail it. The 1000pages have taken a while to get through, but it was so good!

Maybe you've heard that Adam's teaching position was cut here. He just accepted a position at Belle Plaine. For now, he will drive. He will have to finish his house to get it ready to sell, but you know how that market is.

Take care,
Love,
Dianna

Judy's Next Chapter said...

Kathy,
I am SO happy to have found your blog. Now I know that you are REALLY in Africa! I am a little jealous, but it is also good to be back in Texas!
I just completed battling breast cancer. Hopefully, I am DONE with that for now. I guess that is WHY we had to come back from Zambia.
I loved seeing familiar words like "chetenge" and "muzungo" and the store names "Game" and "Shoprite".
Wish I knew your e-mail address. So glad that you have computer accesss!
God Bless,
Judy Voigt