Saturday, April 19, 2008

I'm Here!!

This is going to be long, sorry. I was so disappointed that the internet was down last Sat; then I tried at the Nkoko Hospital Thursday, but could only read e-mail, not send anything. I try not to get frustrated...a few years ago there was no internet here at all. It's Sat. the 19th and I've braved the trip to Kampala...but only stopped at the outskirts at the mall!! I'm still not ready to brave downtown. Glad Gail added the pictures. I'm going to try to mail some more to her today if I can get prints made...sending via e-mail is so painfully slow.

This was an extraordinary week (and 2 days). Just last Thursday we had our Swearing In at the Ambassador's Home - very nice but not as emotional as I thought it would be. It rained which is considered a blessing, especially this year when the rainy season has been so spotty. Splitting up the group went fast. Maria joined a bunch on a hired matato going out west so it was a quick parting which I liked.

Sister Juliette was there and picked me up in the Providence House (PH) truck....leaving Kampala we picked up a young (late 20s) couple from California, China and Paul. China is working on a PhD from U of Calif, SF, about Ugandan charitable organizations. Paul has a PhD from Harvard in Genetics. China had chosen 3 organizations to focus on and one was PH! They are a very bright, upbeat and energetic couple who are dedicated to PH and it's mission. They are leaving Uganda in a week after 11 months here but were staying at PH for a few days to wrap things up. They were an invaluable source of information about PH, funding priorities and the "how tos". Having them, Christine (the retiring PCV) and you all PH will have some powerful allies in the US! Paul and China's parents donated the cow PH just got ($1 million shillings or abou t $600 for a pregnant Fresian cow). Most of the PH donations in the past have been from Holland and Germany for construction - the bakery, the new boy's dorm and others.

We drove to Nkoko along a back road through sugar cane and tea plantations - just gorgeous - and much less bumpy than the main road...that's a killer!! I got settled in the Guest House which is a really nice place on the convent grounds....have lots of room to roam around and a shower and toilet!! Have my electric pot so make coffe in the a.m...very homey.

Thre are also 2 university students at PH from Holland who leave the end of May after doing a Senior project - they've chosen 6 of the most severely handicapped children and are teaching them hygiene skills. Their parents just donated some beds for the new dorm and a playground structure - a HUGE luxury in Uganda.

The sisters are amazing...I take most of my meals with them. Sister Juliette is only 30 and is taking on PH which is a huge project. She's the only nun working there now, but there are several others assigned to the bakery who help out. There are so many areas to work with here...disabled children and adults, schooling, vocational training, hygiene, rehabilitation, community outreach - they take them all on....plus the biggie of keeping the place solvent!!! However, they keep their original focus...helping the most needy very much on the forefront and try to other charity work.

I spent several days (and nights) meeting with China, Paul, Christine and Sister putting our heads togteher to create a plan for PH....I mainly wrote notes!! Apparently donor organizations today want to fund very specific, measurable and time limited projects - like vocational training or Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR) - which I'll be supervising - so these are the target grant area....I have no idea what I'm doing, but I guess I'll learn.

Sunday, the residents had a welcoming ceremony for me. They sang and danced - it's hard to describe a chorus sincing so well and cheerfully when the front row sits on the ground because their legs are crippled or atrophied. But they are smiling and singing away!! They are SO appreciative of my coming..quite a motivator. Christine knows them all by name and story and that's my immediate goal - to hang out some days at PH and meet people and see what they want to hapen. Many of the children go to school during the day (some disabled, some not) but the most severely disabled stay here and some need some programming. The vocational program has some possibilities, but needs lots of work (more later on that).

I'm trying to go slow w. defining needs here - the needs are many, but doable (a China quote). We need to prioitize long term needs so that they can maintain short term expenses (ie., food). For example, they have shoemaking equipment and a teacher and offer a vocational class in shoe making but have no money to buy leather so they work exclusively on old paper bags!! We have thought about having them focus, to start, on making children's school shoes since every school child is supposed to have a pair of black shoes - a HUGE expense for many families, hence, many don't have shoes. We think we could sell a less expensive shoe and hopefully provide a source of income for the home.

Some of you have asked about donations - if you'd like to donate why don't you e-mail me (it's not a Peace Corps thing).....there are small, specific needs.

Tried to maximize the help China and Paul could give re: funding and ideas - it was an exhausting but productive few days...and so hopeful. Late one nite we worked up a budget for PH that included improvements in the water supply, a functional vocational training program, expanded animal husbandry and gardening units, and meeting basic needs (like bedding and hygiene itmes and training) that seems very doable (there's that word again). Sister Juliette was a little afraid to get too excited but it's hard ot to be. China and Paul plan to do fund raising when they get home to cover operating expenses of the home. Their being here right at the start of my time truly fits the category of a Godsend! Christine will also be doing work at home in Oregon.

Have to add two very emotional experiences during the week - again, sorry to be so long. Monday we visiteed a school across the road from PH where many PH kids attend, also run by Franciscan nuns. They are just starting working with a fledgling Catholic sponsorship organization, Caritas, that is partnering w. the nuns here in Uganda. The school just got their first 20 sponsorships and they had a ceremony (Ugandans love ceremonies) and gave them their new uniforms, shoes and notebooks!! (Caritas also pays school fees of about $30/term). Afterwards we walked to 2 boys' homes (boys were about 8). First, had a single mom crippled s. a hip problem in a very small mud house. When she saw her son in a uniform and shoes her face lit up and she thanked us over and over. She mades a little money plaiting hair when she can and gets some from an older son, but struggles.

The 2nd boy lived w. a sibbling and a disabled grandmother who is HIV positive...all the rest of the family has died from HIV. She, too, was SO excited and grateful. School fees here are a killer for many families, but they try so hard! Very emotional visits.

Tuesday we visited a school WAY out - by Lake Vistoria - just stunning scenery and so many trees, but very poor - no textbooks and nothing on the walls. It's a very poor area - teachers don't always get paid (salaries range from $120 - 40/month) but the kids love school and they had a student last year get top honors on their P-7 exam (last year of Primary - tests determine the ability to go on to Secondary and are very hard). The other students did well, too - just an amazing amount of determination. It's never hopeless - hard, but not hopeless!

This has ben a very unusual, emotional, fun and busy week - now to settle in for the long haul and see what I can do organizing, prioritizing and seeking information. Sister has me supervising the vocational programs, teaching two classes (1 day/week) in remedial English to PH kids, and supervising the CBR program...and hopefully some grant writing. Might help with their chicken project too - I raised chickens as a kid!! Chickens here have many health problems, too. Big problem is lack of computer access...and even then a very slow internet - I'll learn patience or perish!!

Weather has been rainy and cool at night -pleasant days. I eat at the sister's house at PH and the food is wonderful..too much actually! The bakery buns are so good - I'm definitely not starving!!!

Haven't seen a lot of Holly and Shari but they are settling in and getting started, too. Can't say enough about how happy I am that they are here. Holly is such a treasure - dedicated and well grounded. We went on a fabulous "power walk" yesterday a.m. - gorgeous scenery. Shari is just as dedicated but her task is to keep me humble by telling it like it is!! Love them both!!!

Wednesday, McGrath Thomas, the PC country director, the new PC Community Health Director and some other staff were here to see the site and wish Christine and Theresa well....they only come 1x during your stay so think I'm done!! Friday the Ugandan Vice President gave a speech in Nkoko...campaigning for a local politician...imagine Dick Cheney in Montgomery!! It has been an extraordinary week. Glad there's not a presidential election here till 2011!!

Good luck to the Redbirds and Mallards - dad sent me a schedule and some news of the Twins. Happy Birthday to Dylan, Ben and Bert....I hope this posts and that I can keep this up more regularly, but it's never a sure thing. Holly got the mail in Mukono yesterday and I got some letters, envelopes and boxes - sent as recently as April 8!!!

I really don't want for anything, but the newspapers, magazines and comfort foods are great....think chocolate might make it!!! Hope you all are well and doing O.K. despite the poor economy. I know I'm all bright eyed and bushy tailed right now and it will change, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Thanks for the letters, prayers and thoughts! They really help....I've stayed well because of them!!!

On the get to e-mail, try to get prints and a few things at GAME and Shop Rite - I'm a sucker for the American stores....Keep in Touch.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't apologize for a long post! It was very interesting to read about what's been going on where you are and what your feelings and impressions are. I think it's great you can share it with so many at once.

Sounds like you had a mail bonanza! Let me know what else you liked or didn't like in the package - so I especially know what not send again. Peg

Dianna Smith said...

Hi Kathy,
I am enjoying reading about your life in Uganda. I have mailed a package, I will be anxious to hear when it arrives. A letter will follow soon!
Dianna

Maria said...

Hi Kathy
This is Maria. I wanted to say Hi.

hulag said...

Hi there friend! I am a blog reader from the Philippines. I am happy to found your interesting site. It is really worth visiting.