Tuesday, April 8, 2008

We're in Kampala

I'm at the internet cafe at the Mall in Kampala and it's doing funny things so I'll be brief. I'm getting a few things for Nkokojeru. I'll be in the guest house at convent for the first month at least and not sure if I can cook there, but I got a nice frying pan and a little pot....and a few other things like dish towels. We get a "settlilng in allowance" from PC and I'm spending it fast!

Back to last weekend. Saturday we had a farewell party for host families that was really nice. Each Language group had to do a skit/song/dance...we did a skit about the things we've learned in Uganda - washing clothes by hand, cooking on a sirgiri, eating w. your hand (right), bucket bathing, pit latrine...it was cute I think. Had a great lunch but it was HOT.

I cried when I left the family on Sunday a.m. I will especially miss the girls...they were a lot of fun and I enjoyed doing things with them, even if I was anxious to leave!! A pretty emotional weekend all around.

Took my test Sunday a.m. and I just choked...don't know if I studied too much or what but I couldn't remember anything. We can test again in 3 months and Peace Corps will pay for tutoring at our site 3x a week for the 3 months...so that's what I'll be doing now. I really do need the language to talk to the residents at Providence House..esp. the adults who didn't have English (probably didn't go to school).

Monday we came to Kampala in the a.m. and Maria and I had a great lunch at the Grand Imperial HOtel. Since then it's been going here and there...PC office (which is guarded like Fort Knox) and today, the Embassy....it's new - built in 2001 - and very nice. Tonite we all eat at the Director's house...bet it's nice. She's a very assertive black lady from the U.S. Interesting all the Americans working over here! Guess Uganda is a pretty good post - at least it's very safe.

Weds. is an all day workshop with our site supervisors and Thursday a.m. is swearing in and then we leave for our sites...this phase is almost over and I'm still here!!!

Not sure what access I'll have to internet in Nkoko...but I said that about Luweero...they have internet at the Hospital but limited use for us....the nearest internet cafe is in Mukono which is only an hour ride away. Many people just come to Kampala (2 hours) since there's more to get here. I will be so glad to get settled in one spot and find out what's to do. However, I will then have to work and start earning my $250/month!!!

Thanks to everyone for your support and prayers and letters and good thoughts. They have meant a great deal to me....training had it's rough spots and teary moments, and I had my struggles getting used to Uganda (and still do!), but I'm still here!! Maybe I'm just too stubborn to give in!! Hope you all are well. What's up in bookclub?

No comments: