Saturday, September 5, 2009

Happy Labor Day Weekend

This should be short -blogged on Monday, but I'm trying to get back into my weekend routine.....I can't believe I'm keeping up the blog, but so many of you mentioned that you read it and use it to keep up I have been re-inspired! When I get home for good I'll print it up and have a great record of my 2 years!

Spending the weekend in Jinja - staying at the home of another PCV and Maria is here - actually, there are five who play bridge and having a tournament, and Holly and I who are just here! The home actually overlooks the Nile -I continue to be amazed to be right by the Nile River!!! We walked down the road to a hotel today w. a pool and sat around and swam - again, tough duty as a PCV!!!

The week went fast. On Monday four Peace Corps Trainees arrived in town w. their language instructor - new program at training. They visit PCVs at their sites and have language "immersion" - they are forced to speak Lugandan when out in town. Nice group - really making me feel old! I think there are 45 in their class.

Went down to the Nkokonjeru Market w. Josephine to get some things for her to take back to school and there was an outdoor bloodmobile there - needless to say,I didn't offer to donate!

Tuesday we started digging up the garden early with the PCTs - Sister was horrified that we were having them work since they were company - but they wanted to!! Nice to have the extra help! CBR was quiet but we worked on Moses plan for his month of practicum and who he'll visit for his report.

Wednesday Sr. Goretti, Sr. Juliet and I went to Kamapala - Sr. Juliet had some meetings and Sr. Goretti and I were going to start shopping for the sewing portion of the SPA grant. Had a meeting first with a retired Bishop about some disputed land the Sisters "own" - there are not real land titles here (and no property tax) - it's a very informal system and apparently the land was sold by the brother of a man who died 15 years ago - he sold it supposedly to pay for his brother's childrens' education - but now the kids say they should still own it! Not sure who will win this one. Also, if you work a piece of land for 10 years or so and no one else works it you can claim "squatter's rights". Needless to say, there are a lot of disputes -there seems to be a lot of land,but with the population increasing it's going to get pretty ugly!

Sr. Goretti and I had a great time - but exhausting. We went to the area of Kampala where they sell material and it's a jungle - about 2 city blocks, lots of small shops up and down stairs (3 stories) and the shops go down aisles through the whole block on each floor - it's crazy! We did manage to purchase 4 treadle (Singer) machines at a good price,and then went on to get scissors, tapes, etc. and then material for sewing children's dresses and for the advanced class to try making the traditional dress - a gomez....a long gown that wraps around and is pretty complex! Sr. Goretti just learned how to make them and will teach the class.

We met up w. Sr. Juliet and since Sr.Goretti had to get some stuff for the bakery, Sr. J and I took the matatu to Corsu,the orthopedic hospital in Entebbe to visit some patients. Nususla is there - they are working to patch some skin over the hole in her face that resulted from bad surgery some years ago to remove a tumor (removed her eye as well); Justine is still there and there's a new client (10 year old girl) who just went Tuesday who has one leg that sticks out at a 90 degree angle at the knee.

I actually enjoyed the crowds at Kampala today - 'course it helped having Sr.Goretti to follow. We even went to the big market, Owino....acres and acres of little wooden stalls, connected by narrow lanes - and everyone yelling at you to buy! It's overwhelming to me.

Thursday was the epilepsy clinic - they brought out 20 student nurses and did some home visits...busy day and I was a bit disorganized since I was gone last month,but it all worked out well. The PCTs came down for a tour of PH and they were impressed with the size of the operation!

Friday we got garden planted (now we really need rain). Got wash and cleaning done and had a great lunch at Holly's with the PCTs and Maria arrived on time to eat, too. Holly made pumpkin curry which sounds funny but was delicious! Indian food is popular with the Peace Corps crowd.

So, the week ends. Next week I need to get ready for school. I'm getting back into the rountine, but it's hard. I'm really glad I got to go home for a bit - but now back to work!

No comments: