Sunday, September 20, 2009

HAPPY EED - Sept. 20, 2009

EEd is the end of Ramadan! A Holiday in Uganda, but it's Sunday anyway - lots of Muslims all dressed up and going to the mosque. The date has something to do w. the phase of the moon.....was in the supermarket and they were buying up lots of treats for the kids!

As proof of how compulsive I am (at least about blogging weekly - and pretty much all my routines) I need to relate the story of today's blog. There still is no internet in Nkokonjeru - so, since the "standfast" was lifted Saturday I decided to come to Kampala today - just to the outmost mall to blog and get my passport pictures done (I need to renew my regular passport - why I didn't do it when I was home is a mystery to me). The internet cafe there wasn't open but I figured I'd catch the cafe in Mukono on the way back - BUT, power was out in Mukono and they weren't running their generator - I was bummed but got back on the matatu and came back to Garden City Mall where I now sit in great comfort (AC) and have a fast computer! - only 6 1/2 months left to go to our COS (Close of Service) date - can I keep it up?

Last weekend came and went w. no where to go - Maria stayed in Nkokonjeru - the riots had calmed in Kampala, but PC (and lots of others) were still worried about travel. We (Maria, Holly & I) took walks, played cards (I consistently lost everything - yatzee, phase 10 - even solitare), and ate! Not so bad, but it's hard not having any news of what's going on. Sunday matatu traffic resumed and by Monday all was normal.....Shari got back Monday after four days at the Red Chili Guest House in Kampala w. 17 other PCVs! Kabaka (King of Buganda) traveled Friday and no trouble at all!

I was going to start class on Monday, but as I walked down to PH I saw Sister and ALL the kids walking up the hill w. hoes. It appears that w. all the tanks dry (it's been terrible), one of the kids tried to get into the tank that's locked for animal water and broke the tap - no one would admit and no one would rat so they all had to skip school and go to the garden!

Tuesday we got lots done - w. Sister Juliet's help, Didas, I and some others went through the big storeroom to get all the shoemaking tools there so we can make a list of what to purchase. I was really wishing for a dumpster! Ugandans make a pack rat proud - in fact there was a lot of evidence of rats in the storeroom!!! There were quite a few tools so we can expand our list from the SPA grant. It was a busy CBR day, too - planning for a Katelemwa orthopedic clinic next Wednesday - the Nkokonjeru Town Council is still avoiding us but we're going up the road to Ngogwe for this one! I still argue w. the guys about what PH can do for people - I insist our program is only for referral and information - they want Providence Home to provide funds to people! It's just not possible. I realize it's tough for a lot of people, but it's tough for PH too - Kinene said that people "expect" money because there is a muzungu (white) at PH which really made me mad!!! (the guys need to be firmer too, but it's hard when it's their neighbors and they want to give them hope - even a false hope). Back to my old complaint about Ugandans expecting someone to come in and "fix" things by giving them money - they need to contribute and to expect their government to help (they just said that the government officials won't contribute to help the disabled even tho the money is allotted - so that's it!).

I didn't make class (Englilsh) becuase it was so late when the last people left the office; Bummer - lots of kids back and ready to go!

We had a nice rain Tuesday nite - our garden is sprouting and needs moisture. It is amazing how fast the rain soaks in. The rain put a little water in the tanks which helped the kids a lot.

Holly left on Thursday - I was hoping to go w. her to the airport, but the standfast was still on - even w. the PH truck and two sisters riding shotgun I couldn't go!! She got to go since she had a ticket! I had to laugh at the truck departure - there were the two sisters, the driver's mom and brother, and stops at the bank, for chicken feed, the orthopedic hospital in Entebbe - you really get your money's worth when you rent the PH truck!!! I did go to Mukono to do internet, PO and ATM. My trip back from Mukono was on the worst matatu I've been on - windshield looked like a spiderweb, it rattled all the time, the hatchback came open and sacks flew out necessitating a turn around on the road (which is very narrow and curvey), and we got a flat tire!!!

Thursday nite it really rained - an hour and a half of sheets of rain.....filled the tanks at PH and finally beat down the dust!!! Rain is great but causes lots of power outages - poles fall down in hard to get at places.....can't have it all I guess!

News from home - the Gophers won their first game in the new stadium (so glad I saw the place), Riley and Dylan are in the same Sunday School class - can't wait to see how singing in church goes this year (Gail said Riley is much better at going), bumper crop in corn and beans expected! I love the trivia from home!!

I finished my 2 1/2 pound jar of Skippy Super Chunk is exactly 3 weeks - sad day! I can get a good "American Garden" peanut butter in Mukono but only small jars - stocked up today!!! I've never been w/o peanut butter in Uganda which is important (to me).

Friday a.m. it was still raining and the little kids were coming up the road to Primary School - no jackets, no shoes and a banana leaf umbrella!!! Math started late because of the rain but went well - kids seem anxious to be back in class!!! I started walking again in the evening and think it helps my disposition - it really is a beautiful country and people are SO friendly!!!

Our animals continue to do well - the cow is self supporting and we'll breed her again in a month, we have 8 1 mo. old piglets almost ready to sell (good - the pigs need feed) - one mama pig set to deliver any day and 9 pigs ready to go as meat by Christmas - will be good to get that project self-supporting, too. 3 more months till the chickens produce, but they are doing well and none have died which is absolutely amazing!!! Hope our luck holds! Farming is exhausting!!! (and I don't do any of the physical labor - all I do is worry).

Saturday we had some visitors from a Pentacostal Church in Kampala - 8 University students. The ones from Makerere Univesity - the one in town - said the riots were really scary for them - and the students had chosen last weekend to strike - protesting fee increases - so the police and army were there in force! They agreed that many of the rioters don't care about the King - just in it for the "fun" of rioting and the loot. Lots of great singing and dancing by our kids and them and a special dinner for the kids - rice and meat! Much enjoyed.

On my walk last nite I was composing in my head a little article about "what I've given up and what I've gained" from being in PC - long list on both sides - but I'm still glad I did it. There's a line from the last song in Wicked - "I know it's said, that people come into our lives for a reason, giving something we can learn if we let them, and we help them in return" - I hope I've learned and helped! 2010 will be learning from and helping family at home!!!!

Have a great week - hopefully I'll get to the blog next week (you all know I'll get it done somehow). Mail has been really bad w. all the disturbances - I'm looking forward to some letters! Thanks for all you do for me!!!

No comments: