Monday, August 31, 2009

I'm Back - August 31, 2009

Back in Uganda - no interruptions on the flight back (I was hoping for a delay in Minneapolis - it was hard to leave). Today, I'm at the bakery computer - Sr. Vero left us her wireless connector but the connection has gone off twice - one was a power outage - but the generator is on and I'll give this a try. Am constantly reminded of how everything in Uganda takes so much more time than it does in the U.S. Sister and I were doing some review of the past 3 weeks this a.m. and there are so many things to be done, but each has SO many steps and people to talk to and places to go - it's really discouraging!!!

While I was gone the cow got out (Vincent, the animal manager was not around) and ate some poisonous vegetation in the compound and miscarried - bummer! It was a bull calf but was 2 1/2 months early and didn't make it. When she recovers we'll try again! Need to get rid of bad plants - and reinforce the cow stall!

One of Sister's big pigs gave birth - 11 piglets - 2 died (very small) but the rest are doing well. We'll sell most of them at 2 months - too many mouths to feed already.

A lot of the children have gone home for the holiday - back next week and the week after.

The group from UC Davies (6) was in town while I was gone and got the old pump fixed (donated by the Italians in 2002, but hasn't worked for years) and set up six biosand filter boxes for filtering drinking water. Had a great send-off for them last nite! (it was also a welcome for me - Josephine had even written a song in my honor!!).

Our baby chickens are doing very well - lost none so far. Four months to go before we have eggs. Sula is selling his broilers (at 8 weeks) and will get another 500.

Dr. Norberto and his wife Anna from Florida were here but I got to see them at a gathering Saturday in Lugazi - great folks that I met last year on their visit.

Nantalie (girl w. leg braces) is now walking w. crutches - she's really trying. The interns and a visiting PT from Holland did a lot of work w. her while I was gone (unfortunately, they are gone now too).

RASD internet cafe was struck by lightening and is out of business - another bummer! The UC Davis folks are going to take the modem back to the US and see if it can be repaired.

When I put my traveling outfit (coral jacket and top) in to soak before washing I threw in the pair of socks I got in my KLM "gift packet" from the layover in Amsterdam (the goodie pack w. toothpaste, etc) - and they bled all over the jacket and top - super bummers - won't scrub out. I'll have to wear on my return as tie dyed! The last blow from Delta/NWA/KLM!!!

Moses is back from training for a one month practicum. We are working on planning for the report he has to turn in - then he goes back to COMBRA for two more months. CBR tomorrow and Epilepsy Clinic Thursday - I'm slow getting back into the swing, but guess I will be forced to carry on!! School won't start till the 13th (supposed to start the 7th, but I'm sure not enough students will be back). Wednesday, Sr. Goretti and I are going to Kampala to price materials and sewing machines for the grant. So, I'm being forced to get to work, but I really miss home.

Holly wants to re-try the garden - so do I but neither of are anxious to re-dig the plot!! There's been some rain so it's time. There was a mini earthquake here last nite about 1 a.m. - I was awake (too big and too late supper at the convent w. the UC Davies people) and heard it and couldn't figure out what it was - I thought maybe a huge truck going by - not much but a noise and then the dogs started howling!!!!

The mayor and Town Council are really dragging their feet in letting us use the city building for the Katelemwa orthopedic Clinic. I'm sure they don't want the local people getting the idea they should come to the local government for help (tho' the town council gets funding from the federal government to do just that)......Sister is reluctant to take it to a higher level - doesn't want to make the local officials angry - but they need to be accountable (easy for me to say, I'm a temp).

I so enjoyed seeing many of you while I was home. It was hard to leave everyone - the grandchildren were SO much fun. After a bit I'll get accustomed to Uganda again I'm sure. Holly is going home in September and is so ready.

Thanks again for the wonderful time and for all your support!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very much welcome Kethy,and iam Glad the internet/twitter has us blended. How i wish i could talk to you! how about the internet marketing adventure / Check me out on twitter/jjingob sms 0772492280 . welcome to Uganda.

Unknown said...

Its ok kathy,how far have you gone about the clinic ? Now about Buganda uganda Bugerere ! How can you help? iam here tring life about internetmarketing business out . Yes we have alot of Land for more pigary. Welcome once again. How i wish i could afford surficient browse air time. Welcome back www.twittwe.com/jjingob sms 0772492280