Monday, August 17, 2009

PICTURES - Aug. 17,2009

Gail added 138 pictures today bless her heart! Most are of Uganda but some are from the vacation at Lake Vermillion for those who know our family....or who have heard about them. It was really a lot of fun, tho' we all had our moments. The little kids get along well for the most part, but there was still lots of squabbles and tears.....I'm not used to children being so verbal. In Uganda children rarely talk to adults and they just sort of do their own thing - we all were shocked at first to see little children unattended on the streets, but that's the way it's done there!

Weather at Lake Vermillion was beautiful - 80s and sunny. In fact, we got so much sun we spent one afternoon at the Tower-Soudan Underground Mine (a State Park)...very interesting. You go underground 1/2 mile in an old miner's elevator and then travel 3/4 mile on an old rail track - really well done! I got a bit claustrophobic in the elevator but we made it!!!

I wish I could describe how it feels to be back - in some ways it feels like I never left. In others, it seems so alien. I have made it through Target and that was fine, but I went to the Mall today and that was too much. Nothing looked worth buying and I balked at a Smoothie for $5.29!! I'm trying to get to see a lot of people but my time is running out fast. It was good to go to church on Sunday - everyone was so nice, but after an initial "how is it?" they like to talk about what's going on in their lives, which is actually more fun for me rather than listening to myself. Lots of people have been reading the blog and are pretty up on the news anyway!!

Tomorrow I watch Riley play T-ball and go to book club. Wednesday I hope to do some more visiting and have a dental appt. I'm hoping to get to the zoo with some of the little kids and have to schedule a meeting w. Curt - he's back from Alaska already. The fire they went to fight is 40% contained and the outstate crews were sent home. Saturday we're going to a football scrimmage at the new University of Minnesota outdoor stadium!!!

I do often wonder how things are going at Providence Home and if the animals are prospering. I know things will go along well w/o me and lots of kids are home for the holidays. I think it will be hard to go back, but I'm determined to do the next 7 months barring any unforseen problems.

I hope you all have a good end of summer!!!

No comments: