Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday November 20

Took a quick trip to Mukono after English class (we're reviewing for exams - there will be no surprises)...to try to send my vacation request slips to PC so I can go to Kenya December 5 for Sr. Veronica's Final Profession and to Sorotti (north east) for Thanksgiving Dinner....got them scanned and attach at the Internet Cafe before I realized I'd brought my London request form and not the Sorotti one! Will have to try again! I'm going into Kampala this weekend to watch Holly run the Marathon (she said there are now 2000 runners)...so will try to get it right the next time. Sort of a last minute trip and I was rushing - never works.

Was going to do the blog tomorrow at Shari's internet cafe, but the computer is working here now, and you never know about power in Nkokonjeru! Week in review: Last Sunday we had another small group from Holland -the director of the Liliane Fund that pays school fees and other things for about 30 of our disabled residents and about 90 in the villages. She's really nice and had lots of good ideas. They are asking for better record keeping and budgeting...which we sorely need...problem is finding the time to put it together...maybe over break!

After English Monday I went up to RASD (Shari's site) to get her help making up a flyer to advertise shoes for sale. Maria's had the idea to send flyers home w. the kids from the area schools at break since many need new shoes for the new term. Time is now short to get it done.

Late afternoon Sister had all the kids who can walk (and some who can't) behind the wall planting the new sweet potato vines....a new variety w. more vitamins than the traditional white ones! She got them Sunday nite and had a guy lined up to plant them on our newly plowed acre, but he didn't show! I wanted to help, but they hill up the soil for each plant and Sr. said it was too hard....looked hard! She said I could weed when the time came....think there's a right way to do it and they all know it, and I don't!!

Tuesday at CBR we had a REALLY hyperactive little girl (7)....she was all over the place! Mom was in town trying to find the dad who apparently is from Nkokonjeru and she stopped by to see if she could get money from the Sister (no luck). There is no welfare system or child support here...if your family won't or can't help you, you are on your own.

We spent a lot of time planning for next Tuesday's Katelemwa orthopedic clinic....I want it to be organized, but better be prepared for chaos. The guys think there will be at least 50 clients!!!

Wednesday was a crazy day - Holly had to go to the PC office w. her forms for her Mt. Kilamanjaro trip the end of next week, so I took her Public Health class (exam review)....then tried to peddle flyers. Went up the BIG hill to Stella Maris Primary, but the headmistress was out; will try again. Back down. Had good luck at St. Anthony's Secondary. I am not cut out to be a salesperson! And we need to sell shoes!

Went up to RASD again so Shari (volunteer par excellence) is working on flyers announcing the times for distribution of the eyeglass that came. In March a group of opticians from the U.K. came to PH and for four days they saw people - about 100/day; two days of glasses just arrived and we need to start distributing them (after the clinic tho'). They are coming again for four days in March 2009!

After that I got on the bakery computer and typed exams, forms for the clinic and eyeglass distribution (my Excel is improving).....took them all down to the lady that does copies in town and will pick them (and the shoe flyers and eyeglass flyers) up tomorrow....lots of foot miles - I was tired!!! Went back to PH to check in and the three non-verbal kids who'd been at the Kenyan school came back for Holiday....they were SO happy to be back. They seemed better behaved (but no words)....hope they stay that way w/o the structure of the Kenya school!

Got back up to Stella Maris after English class this a.m. and Sr. Immaculate said she'd be glad to send out the flyers, too (this is easy)....will get them to her tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed that we generate some sales!

Corky sent me a crank pencil sharpener and I showed the kids (and staff) how it worked this a.m. at class....no one had seen one before!!! Really an experience....told them a lot of American's use electric ones which they just laughed at....they use razor blades, knives, or the little plastic ones that keep breaking (and I keep buying).

That's about it - Tuesday(here) was Henry's 2nd Birthday! My kids at home are really working hard to keep the Thanksgiving and Christmas traditions alive......I'm really proud of them!!!
I will really miss that, but we're planning a big PCV party in Nkokonjeru w. the PH kids and then on the 26th I'm off to London to meet the Skluzaceks....when Gail first proposed meeting I thought it was a lot for them, but now I'm so glad - gives me something to look forward to!

Take care -thanks for all the wonderful letters and for your thoughts and prayers. The basket/bead sale at church was a huge success...thanks to everyone who contributed!!! Got some money from the bank today and decided to share some of the profit w. Sr. Juliet - we're having a food crisis right now and this will really help. Thanks again!

No comments: