Friday, November 7, 2008

Post Election Thoughts - 8/11/08

Holly and I are in Mukono using the internet - we've been w/o power for a bit in Nkokonjeru....had our great breakfast at the Colline hotel (made to order omlettes)....life is good.

I wanted to listen all nite to the radio for election coverage, but fell asleep....Holly called about 5:30 a.m. to tell me that Obama had taken Minnesota! Gail called at 6:30 to say the referendum passed (YEA - that was my biggest concern) and that she's on the School Board!!! I went to Mass at 6:45 to say "Thank you". Then went down to PH and watched Obama's acceptance speech on the Sisters' TV - he seemed so calm!!! Read in the Kampala paper yesterday that the Onion (American newspaper) had the headline "Black Man Gets Worse Job in the U.S." How true!

The Sisters were really excited - some of their funnier comments: Sr. Goretti "Won't the other man (McCain) be angry and cause trouble?", and "How will they make the man in the house now (Bush) leave?". Sr. Melody said "Obama only had 388 votes - is that all the people in America that vote?". Sr. Ephram (convent), "So, now Obama is the President of North and South America"? But everyone was happy (except Sr. Juliet who thought McCain had more experience and would be better). Obamamania is crazy here - but the most commented on fact was the peacefulness of the transfer and the lack of arguing....really was an interesting twist and made me VERY proud to be an American!!! Holly really missed being in Chicago - and Jean was in New York on business for the week.

Wednesday got busy quickly - I was watching them load scrap metal(and helping a bit) from the shed they cleaned out and Sr. J. decided that since the little kids were off school, I should take them up to the hospital to have HIV testing (she'd talked to them about it)...SO, I ended up w. 35 children (w. assorted disabilities, wheelchairs and crutches) - quite the sight I'm sure!!! They were really good (have to have blood drawn) - some of the little girls sat on my lap - fortunately the results are fast. They do a rapid dipstick test and if that's negative you are O.K. - all were negative - another thing to thank God for!

Our mail situation is still bad (told the story last time about the postmaster in Mukono getting fired - he opened up his secretarial business/copy shop two doors from the P.O.), but the new postmaster is really slow....we have gotten no mail for 3 weeks - it's annoying and scary!!! The old crew was so friendly and efficient....not sure what's the problem.

Thursday we had a good English class tho' people are starting to come later and later...frustrating. Going to give "treats" to the on-time people and see if it helps. We had a new nurse for the epilepsy clinic and she came 2 hours later than Florence does. It always amazes people how long it takes to get out here - but she was really good and very efficient - like her a lot!!! She was very direct w. people - some come because there children have some serious mental impairment and they want a "fix" and she explained there is none - she even diagnosed some as ADD - and said they should be on Ritalin but they have to go to Kampala to get it and it's 600sh/pill (30 cents) so that's not going to happen....kids just won't go to school.

Friday a.m. Holly knocked on my door at 6:30 and I was still sleeping - I was tired! She was going running and wanted to know if I wanted to bike along - I did and it was just beautiful - the hills were covered in mist. It's hard to take pictures that captures it.....when we first got here we used to take early a.m. walks - very inspiring! Rest of the day was very peaceful - I got my clothes washed, went down to PH and it rained for a few hours so I was trapped and had to eat lunch w. the sisters (funny how that works...I'm such a mooch). Big visitor day tomorrow - 14 people from Holland - the group that sponsored the construction of the bakery. The kids are practicing lots of songs and dances - they love it!!!

Had a mouse/rat in my apartment last nite....ugh. It came in under the door (lots of room) but I yelled and he exited again quickly. Reminded me of when Corky and I were in Texas (his AF basic training) and lived in a tiny apt. (smaller than the one I have now) and I was so bored I was feeding a cute little "mouse" that would come to our back sliding door - well, he grew and Corky said "IT'S A RAT!" and got our landlord to come and shoot it!!! You really have to watch out for rats and snakes here - Sr. Melody uncovered some snakes yesterday under a mat, and LOTS of rats in the shed we cleaned.....just a hazard of the location.

So, that's it for now.....will go back and be part of the festivities....should be fun! So, excited about the election - esp. the referendum passing!!!

Take care all - thanks again for your thoughts ( I'm sure there will be a BIG bunch of letters at some point when they get things straightened out). I really miss the little kids - say "goodnight" to their pictures just before I shut off the lights. Know they are growing up and doing lots of fun things - but this has been a good adventure for me. Really learning to appreciate things I took for granted.....

1 comment:

Evelien said...

HEY Kathy!
Do you still remember me? It's Evelien, left Nkokonjeru in May this year! Are you still fine and enyoing things there? one advise; enyyoj every moment because you will miss it from the first day you're back home again.
I'm so glad I found your blog! We've lost the paper you wroted the adress. Tessa and I are so much thinking of Providence Home, the children, the sisters etcetera en miss it everyday! we are watching video's and pictures a lot!!! We want to know what is happening there and now we can read your blogs! till now it is hard to keep things clear in contact with the sisters. They sended us a mail that Riita, Mulondo and Sunday left to Kenia???! Can you tell us what happened an where they exactly are now?!
I red that it's hard to send things to the PO box at the moment? We want to send a photobook and some pictures for the children, but do you think it's safe to send it this moment?
I'd love to hear from you! my e- mail adress is : evelientheeuwen@hotmail.com
Greet everyone from us!

Evelien