Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day - November 4, 2008

I'm on the bakery computer sort of late, but I'm having a hard time settling down w. the election going on. I decided to sit it out in Nkokonjeru - I think I'll remember this one a long time regardless of the outcome. Have my fingers (and toes) crossed for the MLHS school referendum...lots of people have worked really hard on it! It's already 6:30 p.m. but only 8:30 a.m. in Montgomery - so hope you are all voting. My ballot is long on it's way!

When I left last I was attending the orthopedic clinic with Dr. Antonio in Mukon - it was amazing. It was so well organized....they had records and X-rays and everything! The people also looked much more prosperous than our village folk. At present they don't have room for us but they said they'd keep us in mind...it would be so much easier for our parents to have their children checked and do their post-surgery treatment there. Seeing all the deformities etc. really made me appreciate that all my children and grandchildren so far are whole and healthy - maybe that's why I'm here - to learn to appreciate things!!!

Friday I made trouble again - saw the shirts the kids had made for Tailoring 2 and was appalled....seams unfinished, puckers everywhere, white thread on blue shirts....showed them to the Sisters and Sister Juliet had a "talk" with the teacher - made the kids rip the shirts apart to start over - they are not ready to graduate in December - lots of work to be done!


Starting to make some inquiries about selling shoes...Sister J is taking some sandals to a shop in Kampala. Then we start at the local schools...she's worried about taking too many orders; I'm worried about not selling!

Holly brought me fresh green beans from the Hospital garden - great w. my basil and dill - wonder if I'll be able to go back to popcorn for supper!!!

An elderly sister died and they brought the body from up north - at 9 p.m. there was a terrible siren and the church bells started ringing and I thought there was a fire...ran outside in my pjs and saw the sisters welcoming the casket - their all nite vigil is the ultimate in "sisterhood".

Just after I went to bed, Shari and Holly came by and put a "ghost" on my door - really a neat thing - don't know how I'd make it w/o them! (a request: if anyone sees that awful, sugary Brach's autumn mix - w. the pumpkins and bats on sale, you can send it our way - we miss it!!!)

Saturday a.m. I biked w. Holly - only 8 miles and then went with her and Shari to a baking class. Great group of village women - about 25 - who really enjoyed the lesson and just being together (not working) and having lunch!

Had to have another jigger operation - this time by Sr. Sara - I seem to attract them. She cut the skin on my toe w. a razor blade and dug at it w. a safety pin - Sr. Goretti finally pulled it out - they were sutiably impressed by the worm - "a big one, full of eggs"!!!


Sunday there was a huge storm during Mass - lots of wind and rain. Later in the day I went with Holly and Shari to a one year memorial service for the mom of one of Holly's Project Hope volunteers and then biked out to meet Moses at his home to do some home visits.....saw the little malnourished girl (really sad - the mom was out drinking when we were there). In the little time we had we saw about 5 clients - one was a 17 year old girl (about the size of a 5 yr. old) with Cerebral Palsy who was in a Budda like position all the time from contractures...but she was clean and seemed well cared for. Normal till 2 - then got a fever and her limbs contracted. Same store over and over!!! Homes are tiny one or two room mud houses - and lots of children peeking out all over (I'm quite a rock star here). Left Moses at 6:30 and had to bike FAST to get home by 7:00 (dark) - it was really fun to book - got a lot of stares (always do, but this was really a sight).

Holly came over w. a great picture Maria had gotten me for my BD - it had a long journey from Kbale - framed by someone else, carried by Holly and Shari home in the rain - typical Ugandan story! It's a women sitting in the middle of two women nursing - really beautiful. The words are in Lugandan and I asked Kassuli to translate them - the first part says (literally) "a mother is like a prison guard"...I was a bit put off by that, but he said it means every vigilant, watchful and alert!! Then the 2nd part says that breastfeeding is good for mother and child. Really thoughtful.

Holly also brought over some great chocolate chip cookies they made on their gas stove - resourceful Americans!!! They felt sorry for me because I was whining about missing Tucker's Baptism.....I'm always whining about something it seems!

Am reading Three Cups of Tea - about a man who built schools in Pakistan and Afganistan - incredible story (but not the best writing). He was a former mountain climber who just started a foundation on his own.

Monday the topic at English was the election - kids are really interested. After class someone wrote on the board the interesting question - "If Obama is elected, how will America be different"? We talked about that Tuesday - really, initially, not a lot - which is the beauty of America! Quite Monday - Sister got a man to plow an acre behind the wall for potatoes...a little gray tractor that reminded me of my dad's little Ford (except this one was Chinese)....the kids were fascinated by it!!! Big event of the day....who needs T.V.?

Later in the afternoon Sr. J got one of her "bugs" and decided to clean out a shed and a storeroom - got lots of interesting scrap metal from discarded wheelchair and car parts. We burned a lot of old clothing - but they saved the left over gallon oil jugs to wash out and use for water (ugh)....gerry cans are precious I guess!

Week so far is going well....hope to watch the sister's TV tomorrow a.m.






No comments: