Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Remember when I thought these two months would be slow - well, it hasn't happened!!! I'm in Kamapla today on the eve of my brief trip to Rwanda. Finally got a call yesterday from someone who was with Plusca so I now have a contact and am more hopeful of meeting. On Tuesday I go to the Compassion office to get a ride to see Faustin (their requirement). Have some gifts for all - but not a lot because of carrying it all on the bus!!! I don't look forward to the bus ride, but I am really excited about the reunion and meeting Plusca's (22) little girl Elsa who is almost 4!

The week went fast. Sunday Mass was changed a bit because there was a retreat for some of the Sister's and it was just me and 70 nuns! Father kindly said "the sermon will deal mainly about living in the religious life" - don't think he knew what to say to me!!

I went out to Moses father's place for the Introduction in the afternoon. Supposed to start at 2, but of course it was 3 (not bad). The "engaged" couple have been living together for 10 years in order to save enough for the big event - and it is BIG. Tents, plastic chairs, flowers and lots of people. It starts w. all the family members taking turns approaching the bride's family and "introducing" themselves - like aunties, sisters, uncles, brothers dancing to them in turn.... Then two aunts "search" the crowd for the groom and bring him to be introduced. The bride and her attendants dance in (several times in different attire)....and the gift giving starts. The groom's relatives carry in dozens of big baskets full of food, then there is the required sack of sugar, the matoke, the sofa and chair set, and animals - he gave a cow and two goats - quite a collection of presents for the bride's parents. Surprise - they said O.K. to the marriage - tho' no one knows when that will be because it also has to be a BIG event and they have to start saving again - no wonder so few Ugandan couples are actually married!!! I sat w. Moses' sister who explained it all to me - she asked if we had a ceremony like this in America - had to admit "no", but weddings can be pretty big. I left at 7:00 because it was dark - they hadn't eaten lunch yet and generally you don't leave before the food, but I was tired and wanted to get back!

Oh, yes, Kiwaw is back (the boy who was having problems w. his father wanting to sell his head)...Sister J told a very funny story about waiting 2 1/2 days for the father to appear at the village. The father was very rude to her, but eventually was surrounded by villagers including the LC (mayor) and had to let Sister take him back. Kiwaw is full of smiles!!!!

Cindy sent me some Smithsonian magazines, mainly devoted to travel, and my favorite story was by a guy who'd traveled all over the world, but fulfilled a dream to drive across America - just quick road trip from LA to Cape Cod - it sounded so neat!!! His final remarks were "there wasn't a moment when I felt like I didn't belong...not a moment of alientation or danger - but always the reassurance that I was home, where I belonged, in the most beautiful country I'd ever seen". I read that part to Holly and we both teared up!!! Uganda is really a great country - but it's not MY country.

At CBR on Tuesday Moses and I were working on the year end reports and 2010 Workplan. He got talking about the problems connecting w. the government people, so we decided then and there to walk down to the Nkokonjeru Town Council office and see our Community Development Officer (back at site - sort of - after several years working on his university degree and not being around). Moses said "I like the way muzungu's do things - you just get up and go!". The guy was in another meeting, but we set a date to meet; he looked a little worried when I said we'd like to talk about their plans for helping the disabled in 2010 and if we could co-operate!. The CDO in Moses' district said he'd like to help and the government is supporting CBR, but he has to go to a workshop first to see what to do!!! (Workshops are a favorite Ugandan pasttime and a great money waster in my humble opinion - buit important to get lunch, per diem and travel allowance).

In the afternoon, Moses and I went w. Sr. Mwagale, a nurse a the hospital who works w. mothers and babies, out to see Baby Nakato (who at 2, in April, weighed under 5 lbs. when we took her to Mulago Hospital for a month). She still looks bad - reddish hair, swollen stomach and skinny limbs - at least she was alive and sitting up, but not walking. Saddest thing was her lack of expression - doesn't laugh anymore but also doesn't cry...just sits and stares! Her diet is still bad; mom has been trying - digging some gardens, but apparently gets little or no help from her husband or adult sons - who were absent when we got there - no one would say where they were, but our guess was "in town". Moses is going later in the month in the early morning to hopefully see the men and threaten them with getting the police involved if they don't start caring for their children - Nakato's parents have 10 living children and the adult boys have some, too, all living and eating together!!

Wednesday, Sr. Goretti went to see the Doctor again, but her cough was so bad he wouldn't operate. I volunteered to go to Mukono to get the medicine he prescribed (not available in Nkokonjeru)....got back late and then went out to the Nutrition class Holly had planned at Moses's home w. his group of Village Health Workers - started really late because of a local burial. Sr. Magwale talked about nutrition, Sam from RASD demonstrated planting bag gardens, and the hopspital dentist talked about dental hygiene. Very nicely done!

Thursday I went early to the PC office to type and use the computer and turn in my Egypt travel request (we need permission to travel - ugh). Then met Eveilyn and Tessa at the Mall - they are two OTs who were here as volunteers in early 2008 for 3 months and are back for two weeks!!! They are loads of fun and have lots of enthusiasm. Had a nice lunch of spinach ravioli (good!) and Sula and Sister picked us up around 3 p.m. The girls say they mised Uganda - the unpredictability of things, the colors, the warmth, the kids at PH - and even the bumpy road (????).

Firday Nelson and I planned his trip to CoRSU with clients next Tuesday; then Sr. J. and I sat w. Eveilyn and Tessa to plan how we hope to use the donations they brought! They are going to buy a plastic basin, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, and vaseline for every resident!!!! A huge help w. personl hygiene. Also, another 100 layers as a learning project for another group of kids and to generate some income. They said PH seems to be doing much better than in early 2008 - nice compliment!!! Everyone is impressed w. the piggery, the cow and the vocational projects - not big profit makers, but we're aiming at training and sustainability!

In the afternoon we got two more visitors - retired nurses from the U.K. One is going to stay 3 months at PH!! I anticipate that, Becky, the one staying, will do well - she's very adaptable - you just have to be to survive here!!! She's a mom and grandmom about my age and lots of fun. I love their British expressions! The other woman, Jenny, is going back on Thursday and is part of a charity working in Uganda.

We are still having lots of rain - should be slacking off by now - but I don't miss the dust that will come when it does. Saturday I showed the new visitors around PH, the convent and the hospital and we had a nice "chat" about our families!!

So, now I'm off to Rwanda - hope to be back Thursday and on Friday will meet w. Judith, the PCV I'm going to Egypt with, to plan...then back to Nkokonjeru and my own bed!!! I'm already looking forward to it!

If you don't get back to the blog before - best wishes for a Merry Christmas!!! I'll try to blog on Friday when I'm back from Rwanda and still in Kampala. I always feel a little guilty leaving PH - will miss doing things with the Holland girls this week but it's fun to travel too!

Hope everyone is well and the sale of the referendum bonds went well - and that bids come in low!!!

Thanks to everyone for your fabulous support this past year - two years? I miss home a lot tho' I really don't miss the cold. I was a bit envious when Corky said you were having a blizzard!!! Anyone get a "snow day"?

No comments: