Friday, December 4, 2009

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving!!! Next year I'll be enjoying the turkey, etc. and some much valued family time!!! Only about 4 months to our Close of Service Date (April 9, 2010). Our COS conference is Jan. 10-14!!! That's where we get all the information I guess.


I sent Gail a picture CD - so check for pictures. Fewer this time - I'm slowing down!


Congrats Montgomery/Lonsdale District on passing the Bond Referendum!!!!! Gail said it has to start in Spring so when I come home they may be going - what a job well done!!! Completion in 2012! I'm excited to watch it progress!!!


Last week when I left off I was just going to Moses' graduation from the COMBRA program - 4 month training in community rehabilitation. It was 2 hours late (predictably) tho' I was there nearly on time - hard habit to break. He seemed very pleased w. the program and what he learned. He's a great asset to our community program and deserved the opportunity.



Last week's Christmas Program practice was going VERY poorly - also sound guy's phone was off for several days and the keyboard guy didn't show up (and no phone).....we were getting worried (well, I was. Stella, a young lady who is disabled and grew up at PH and is a recent college grad w/o a job so back living here was the program co-ordinator and she was staying calm). Power was out Friday and Sat., too!!! Stell was amazing!!! "It will work out"!


Spent Friday wrapping up - collected all the scissors and bobbins, got sales figures from Didas to do the year end shoe report. In 2008 we sold 167,000 shillings worth of shoes; in 2009 it was 1,606,000!!! He keeps good records!


Saturday a.m. I got down to PH prepared to work. Got greeens for the chickens myself - it felt good; I'm tired of prodding Sarah.....if Ugandans don't want to do something you ask them to do they just ignore your request! The kids were all busy cleaning the compound and getting ready for the Program. They still have to slaughter and clean 18 chickens and 2 small pigs and peel lots of bananas for matoke. I can't imagine adding thaose jobs to an American Christmas Program. I went w. Sr. Goretti to Lugazi w. the truck to buy groceries - she bought cabbabes and bananas on the way from guys w. bicycles loaded and headed to town!!!


Sunday a.m. was pretty hectic. I went to Mass and Father was talking about the "new Season" - I thought "Pentecost"? NO, it's actually ADVENT! When did that happen? You loose touch here.


When I got to PH, I asked Fred to take a boda up to the sound guy's home to confirm...he was coming he said, but we wanted wireless mikes. I told him when he got to PH - he said I should have told him sooner - it took all my patience not to scream "but, your phone was off for days"!!! He went back and brought them....they are never sure how to handle an upset muzungu! The keyboard guy came just as we were starting - did reduce his pay since he only came to 3 out of 6 promised practices. He told Stella he wouldn't work for me again unless I was "serious" next time about paying him!!! The tailoring teacher didn't come to put up the display of finished work, so I had to try to do it w. lots of help from the other tailoring teacher who works w. the two advanced students! Didas did a great display of materials, shoes and tools, the craft lady set up her table and Nelson had a photo display of his work w. the disabled. Pretty impressive.



The program was great (you knew it would be, didn't you?) - the kids did a really good job. Michelle's ( a PCV) sister was visiting her and she was Father Christmas at the end and was a riot. He wears a costume that makes him look like a begger and dances around giving out candy - everyone loves it! The old Sisters came from the retirement commmunity and seemed to really enjoy it...they love outings! Lunch got served to all - the PH kids cooked last nite w/o power - started at 3 a.m. w. lanterns! We did get a guy to come and video this year - I'm getting a copy to bring home! The day was a lot of work for all but it is worth it when it's over - a great co-operative effort!!!


Monday was understandable slow. Tuesday was World AIDS Day...Holly and her group at the hospital had a program planned. Maas at 9:00 (actually 10), the a walk through town and speeches and a drama group - very well done. Several of the speakers were clients who are HIV positive aand who urged people to test and get help ( there was free testing also availalbe). The drama group did songs, dances, plays....the crowd wasn't as big as hoped but it was very successful!



Holly had called me early Tuesday a.m. - she'd lost her wallet Monday nite and discovered it in the a.m. ID, her PC allowance for December, U.S. driver's license - really a LOT! She remembered using it at a shop in town Monday nite and then didn't think about it till Tuesday a.m. Probably dropped and stolen. She called PC and reported it to the Police but not much hope.


I'm reading The Last King of Scotland by Giles Folden....interesting and different in many places from the movie (which was good, but gory). In the early parts when it's still humorous, he talks about riding a matatu (van taxi). Two years ago if I had ready about the rickety van, jammed w. people and animals, full of noise and smells and luggage I would have thought he was exaggerating. Now, I just read and say, "Yup, been there, done that".... Next book is Abbissyan Chronicles by a Ugandan author and his coming of age during the Amin years. Found it at the PC office library.


Tuesday evening Sister, Nelson and I worked to finish an evaluation of the OT volunteers we've had in 2008 and 2009 - Liliane Foundation was reqeusting it before considering us for the 2010 volunteers . I was secretary so we did it "American style" - very brief and to the point. One of the BIG benefits was the attention the vounteers give the kids, who need it desperately, and the energy and new ideas they bring to the staff - intangibles, but really appreciated.


Wednesday a.m. I called Gail at 5 a.m. but it was only 8 p.m. and no news on the referendum. She called back when I was on the matatu to Kamplala and told me the good news!!! Spent most of the day at the PC office typing reports and the aforementioned evaluation which was due Thursday!!! PCV lounge has four computers and is always busy - lots of visiting goes on so it's a fun place to work - I "typed" for over five hours...my butt was sore!!!


Holly got her wallet back - but just w. the ID's bank cards and driver's license. Still it's something. Sr. Benna predicted that whoever stole the money will go out and buy a lot of stuff since "they didn't sweat to earn the money"...and, if the money's spent they don't have to return it!!!!


Sister Juliet went to Kampala Thursday w. a load - several kids going to drop off points to go home; a child going for review at CoRSU - many, many stops. She was also going to take one of the boys, Kiwaw (10) all the way home. His grandmother came to take him and told the most remarkable story. She said that she'd brought Kiwaw some time ago to PH becasue his mom was gone and dad was a drunkard and mad. After he'd been away for awhile, the dad accused her of selling the boy's head to a medicine man since he hadn't seen him. He wasn't upset about the supposed decapitation, but about her not sharing the money with him!!! So, she had to produce the boy or the money and she wanted him back. The boy told Sister that prior to coming he'd heard his dad concoct a plan to sell his head (so dad had the idea but he thought grandma captialized on it!!) and he was understanably nervous about going back - he tried to hide. Sister said that from the two stories it sounded legit so she was going to asses the situation and maybe show the dad the boy and bring him back!!! It's a crazy world.


Thursday we had 61 at the Epilepsy clinic - we had an efficient team. I'm trying to back off and everyone else does well! Nice feeling.



Holly and I have resumed our evening walks. Wednesday night three little kids w. big brown faces, peeked up from a ditch and yelled "Hello, muzungu" as we passed - full of smiles at their surprise. Sunset was spectacular - sometimes I forget the really neat stuff!


Friday, I helped Nelson "cast" Serafina's leg - it's contracting again w/o the caliphers...which remain at Katelemwa for re-fitting (they are SO slow). He used a wrap that hardens when wet....she was pretty unhappy at our pushing her knee down, but had to be done.


In the afternoon we all went to a burial of a really nice disabled man who worked at the bakery. (Yes, we go to a lot of burials - part of life - can't imagine what it was like when AIDS was rampant) Most people are buried in a family plot near the ancestral home usually in a banana grove. He was only 30 but had osteomyletis and had surgery some years ago, but people said he was having problems w. pussing wounds and didn't have money/didn't want to go to the hospital and he died, we think, from a massive infection. There were lots of peole there - many disabled who walked/got pushed out the five miles from town. Nelson and I ended up in the back of the double cabin truck w. the kids and it POURED rain - we were absolutely soaked. When we got back to Nkokonjeru it hadn't rained at all in town! One of those African experiences I guess!!!


Holly went into the PC office Friday and they re-funded her lost money - really nice of them. It's hard when that allowance is all you have!!!


So, the week comes to a close. I'm going to an "introduction" tomorrow in Moses' family - it's a huge deal (and long) where the couple gets engaged and the families exchange presents - mainly the groom giving the bride's parents cows, sofas, etc. Wednesday Holly is having her last grant activitiy - a nutrition class and gardening advice for Moses' group of Community Health Volunteers, Thursday we pick up Evelyn and Tessa - Holland volunteers in early 2008 - who are coming for a visit....so the week looks pretty busy. Next week I'll be in Rwanda visiting my Compassion children....looking forward to that.


Another older lady PCV (younger than me tho') and I are going to Egypt right after Christmas for a few days (Dec. 26-31)....she wanted to go and I figure it's my one shot at seeing Egypt on the "cheap".....it should be fun. She's really energetic so we'll do a lot!


Best wishes for the Holiday Season - going into the really busy time of year for most - good luck!!! I'll miss Christmas and all the little ones especially, but the end is in sight!


Thanks again for all your support - I check the P.O. box before I started on the internet and I have mail - YEA! I enjoy the e-mail, but having a piece of paper that actually started w. someone at home is really special! Hard to explain.....


est wishes and happy holidays! Guy at the internet cafe is playing the soundtrack from Lord of the Rings - love it!!!!

No comments: