Thursday, October 15, 2009

October 17, 2009 - I'm officially 63!!!

I'm actually starting this blog Thursday at the Peace Corps office and will finish it Saturday - I'm in to have lunch and say goodbye to my good friend in PC, Maria, who is going home tonight. She just didn't have enough to keep her at her site in Kbale and decided to end early. I'll really miss her!!! I will finish the blog Saturday in Mukono - a few of us are meeting there to swim at the Colline hotel and have lunch - a little indulgence including two birthdays!

Spent last Saturday in Kampala w. Maria. We went to a huge Trade Show - a lot of commercial exhibits but also a building full of crafts and Maria's "basket ladies" had a booth. They actually sold some things to a wandering buyer from the posh craft store at the malls, Banana Boat, and they are on display there - quite an accomplishment!!! A lot of the show reminded me of under the grandstand at the Minnesota State Fair - there was even a vegematic display!!! Had a great lunch and just walked around.

Sunday the Mass was especially long - two girls from St. Anthony's Secondary were becoming Catholics (former Protestants - probably Anglican). We sang "What a Friend We Have in Jesus"- I really like that one!! I went to Kisoga to St. Balikudembe's to see Josephine for Visiting Day, but visitors couldn't go in and kids couldn't come out - "quarantined" because of H1N1 - or swine flu here. I dropped off the goodies I'd gotten them - pens, soap, sugar, buiscuits, buns, juice, TP....an odd assortment. Came back and did English prep, watched the kids practice for the Christmas Show (November 29) and took a nice walk.

Finished Tipping Point - lots of good ideas - not sure if I agree w. all, but really enjoyed the sections on Sesame Street and Blue's Clues (don't know if I've ever seen that show) - and preschoolers who focus on not what's flashy, but what they know and that doesn't confuse them - (me too - so why I am in Uganda where everything confuses me?). Now am reading Beloved by Toni Morrison - think I started before and quit and I now know why - SO depressing!!!

Nice evening walk w. Holly on Monday - we went down to a little brook I'd never seen before - kids were getting water in gerry cans - at least it was moving water and looked fairly clean!!!

I was so concerned about the Twins I had to call Gail - sad that they lost but they had a great finish!!! She said it snowed when they went to the Gopher game and was cold!! Also, said that they really enjoyed the pork, dumpling dinner at the Church!!!

Tuesday was stressful. Learned that one of the chickens died - the boys who take care of them were so upset. Not sure what happened. Fred gave them their scheduled vaccine late and not sure if it was too old, or they just caught something. He gave them an antibiotic and vitamins and we all prayed!!!

CBR mainly focused on following up the people who went to the hospital last week (or didn't go)...Moses called the mom of the boy w. Bone TB and she hadn't gotten the medicine yet - said she'd do it Thursday - he's calling again on Friday. Sometimes they don't have the money and sometimes they don't want to spend what little they have on a child who is disabled.

Then, Sister, Fred and I went over the bills she has and tried to allocate the Lilian Fund money - it comes in October and April and is our primary source of revenue. The allocation was down by about 20% - they said all over and that donations are just down! After we listed all the school fees owed, salaries owed and debts we were short by 7million shillings ($3500) and that doesn't get us beyond November!!! Very depressing. Really made Sister think about how we need to be more self-sufficient - have some projects written up that are out at potential donors. Also, we need to try harder to collect fees (or send kids home like most of the schools do) and somehow cut expenses! The hospital is experiencing the same problem. We reduced some payments to just end even - had Alex (student) take over English class for me so we could keep on it! Some how it will work out. I just got word that the Women of the Church at St. John's made a $500 donation!!! WOW! Sister owed me some money so I paid tha debt off and will save the rest to get the chickens through the next 2 1/2 months till they start to lay eggs!!! Really a great gift!!! We have started measuring all the feeds for the animals and hopefully can reduce costs so all are (or will be) self-sustaining.

Wednesday we took the 9 shoemaking students to Kampala to watch Didas (the teacher) use grant money to buy supplies and tools....unfortunately, Kampala is NOT handicapped accessible at all and it was really crowded so many had to stay in the truck - the walkers got out at one shop. The shops are really small and packed - you can't call or fax in an order - you just go there and tell them each thing you need and they pull it off the shelves one by one - ugh!!! And if anyone comes in w. a small order (and many did) they interupt you and serve them - ugh again!!! Boys got hot in the back of the pick-up but all in all they had fun seeing Kamapla and riding in the truck. We got back to Mukono about 2:00 and I knew they were going to miss lunch - so we stopped at a little cafe Sula recommended and bought lunch. They got to order off the menu (in one section) - could choose, beef, beans, fish or groundnut sauce over a combo of matoke, rice, sweet potatoes etc. and a soda. They had a terrible time choosing - they never choose food - just take whatever is in the pot. Good expereince and fun for me, too. Total cost to feed 11 (Sr. Goretti and one of the boys who said he gets carsick didn't eat) was $21!!!

When I left Thursday a.m. I found out that two more chickens died overnite - bummer!!

Friday there was lots of rain overnite and the power was off....it's such a thrill to wake up and flip the switch and the lights actually go on - appreciate it!!! Math went O.K., but I'm giving up on Mixed Fractions (e.g. 5/4 = 1 1/4) I've tried diagams, cut outs - and they just don't get it. Probably not important anyway!! One more chicken died Thursday, but Fred really worked w. the vet and think it's under control now - the ones in the house look perky and are eating!

Friday nite Shari and Holly made supper for me - bean burritoes, home made tortillas, guacamole, salsa and a chocolate cake - really great!!! Holly brought back a package of Reese's PB cups for my BD. Those girls really help me make it through! Today we're meeting at a hotel in Mukono to sit by the pool for the afternoon (it's $3.50 and they give you a towel!!). Tomorrow Didas, two boys and I will go up to Stella Maris (the posh school in town) and display shoes for sale - hope it works! It might take more than one try but it's a try! Didas is SO excited about his new tools - fixed up his cupboard w. compartments and signs!!!

Moses (CBR worker) stopped by this a.m. as I was doing laundry and cleaning and said that the boy w. the sores didn't get any meds and he went to the house and they were very poor - five children and 8 yr. old was watching the new baby while mom was in digging - not sure where dad was! Said the house was in bad shape and they looked really poor. I'm tempted to break my rule and just get the drugs for his TB - they should be free at government hospitals, but usually they don't have any (sold elsewhere?)...the boy is so miserable. It's really hard sometimes - but you can't fix everything! (or even close)

Heard it's cool in Minnesota - and New York and Pennslyvania!! I don't know how I'll handle that anymore - I was cold in August!!!

Thanks for all the mail, greetings and for your prayers for me! Special thanks to the St. John Women of the Church - gift was MUCH appreciated!!! Not too long to go now - it seems to be going slower, but when I look back it's gone SO fast!

3 comments:

Charlene said...

Happy Birthday! I have enjoyed your blog!

irshbo said...

Happy Birthday, Kathy
from Larry & Karen
P.S. I have really enjoyed reading your blog.

Julie Carlblom said...

Happy Birthday a little late. Hope it was a great one.