Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Past the One Year Mark - 14 months to go! 2-11-09

I know I said I wasn't going to blog till after Corky's visit, but I'm in Mukono to bank, do the PO and check e-mails and the internet is working well, so here I am (came on the 6:30 matatu and the internet seems better this time of day)....Plus, I still just find some things at PH so interesting I want to share the stories! As of tomorrow I will have been journaling for a year (thanks Mary and Anne) and will be able to see how my thoughts have changed!

I got a call last Friday afternoon late from Katelemwa REhabilitation Center saying they can't come the 12th to do the orthopedic clinic (money not allocated?)....I was SO angry. We (mostly Moses) spends days going on a boda (hired motorcycle) house to house to contact people (they call it "mobilize") and it's time consuming and expensive....now he has to go BACK and tell them it's cancelled. Fortunately, yesterday we got a re-schedule date (26th), but he's already been to some homes the 2nd time. THe guy at Katelemwa said "put it on the radio"....I had to explain that there isno station and many don't have radios. Some have listed phone contact numbers, but 90% of the time their phones aren't charged (no electricity till they come to town and find someone with power!). People who live in Kampala sometimes forget what it's like "in the bush".

On my way in early Sat. a.m. there was a influx of flying "white ants"...they mass around lights and people were up picking them up as they dropped their wings...guess they are quite a delicacy - roasted (or not).

Sunday was a fun day...Sister had a meeting w. the kids to talk about the "new system" of student leadership w. staff supervision....elections for head people and captains for the various job areas are the 15th! Then we gave out the mattresses and sheets to the little girls (memorial from China's mom)....they were SO excited. Two still wet the bed and will temporarily have old mattresses - one cried!!! Let's see if they can do it!! Sister J left their mattresses in the room on an empty bed as an incentive.

In the afternoon Nelson went with me to visit the church youth group that got balls as a result of the St. John Luther League donation!!! There was a HUGE crowd - the other team didn't show up so the boys played the girls at "netball"...there are two hoops on poles and it's on grass so they can't dribble, but otherwise like basketball...girls won 5-3 - boys were rougher but girls were better shooters. Then, they had the soccer game - Youth against the "Ex-Internationals" (the retired players - in their late 20s, 30s and even 40s)....it was a great game - lots of crowd enthusiasm - and tied 1-1. The "old" guys really hung in there - lots of running!! The soccer pitch is a field that was donated and they cleared about 15 years ago...still full of debiris and pokey sticks and they play w/o shoes, but they sure have fun!!!

They gave me some sugarcane, bananas, a pineapple, avacados, passion fruit, a pumpkin, a jackfruit (you'll have to google that one).....it was amazing. Lots of speeches - I was SO embarrassed. Another example of generosity from those who have little. Wish some of the Luther Lg. kids had been there - maybe someday!!!

School started Monday - I didn't prepare much (a lot of students aren't here yet), but they seemed eager - at least it's something to do!!! We tried some reading in the little children's books I have that are both English and Lugandan and they are really poor in reading - either language - except for a few. They got a kick out of the books tho'. Need to change my approach a bit, but hate to slow it too much for the ones that can do well.

The elderly have made some small banana fiber purses I'm sending to church...they aren't as well made as the baskets (or as practical), but they asked me to try - thanks all!

Tuesday was really busy (where are the lazy days of January? - I knew I'd be sorry I was slacking)...CBR was busy and we're working on doing objectives, a budget and a workplan for 2009 - I know it's late, but this is Uganda!! I'm encouraging them to be realistic in scope but it's hard! Got in our first Math class (late but at we got it in). Pig shed is at a temporary standstill...guess w. all the rain it takes more time for the concrete to set (sounds reasonable).

Fred finally finished the books for 2008 (June to Dec. only) and has the budget done fo4 2009...he worked SO hard! He almost quit a week ago but he finally got Sr. J to sit down and try to explain things. The result is really impressive!!! Est. for 2009 is that we will spend (and take in) 83M shillings ($46,000) which really doesn't seem excessive when you think there are 125 people to feed, house, medicate, educate and keep busy! 20M was for school fees and 10M for food ($1.00 = 1800 shillings). The total is higher than I thought and some projects won't get done, but it's such a positive step it's hard no to get excited (after years of no records and no plan).

Well, that's all - things are good here...hope it's the same where you are. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO ALL....Corky arrives Friday nite - I'm getting pretty excited. Maria is coming to Kampala to meet him, too! The kids are really excited to see my "omwami wange".."husband yours". It's a short trip but that's probably O.K.

Best wishes to all!!!

No comments: