Thursday, February 5, 2009

Almost a Year - Feb. 6, 2008

In four days it will be a year since I left Minneapolis...WOW! I was so excited to go, but so sad at the same time. I've really enjoyed the time here, love Providence Home and the people at Nkokonjeru (most of the time), but two years seems long. Guess the one year point can be a "downer" for some and I can see how!

I'm feeling cheated by lack of internet access...RASD was down the two times I tried this week,ours isn't paid, and the hospital is always busy (plus I feel silly going there)....when I can't get it, I really miss it. Have to remember that many volunteers are WAY more isolated than I am! Took a quick trip to Mukono to reconnect and do the bank and P.O.

To Jessica - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I might not get back to all till Valentine's Day is over, too. It's not much of a holiday here, but am wishing all of you a Happy Valentine's Day. One week till Corky arrives - that came fast!!! So, I may not blog for awhile...depends on computer access and time available....will fill you all in later!

Last Sunday two men from the Rotary came to take pictures of the kids getting the wheelchairs. The 18 were free although PH had to pay a 20,000 shilling transportation charge/chair something that really surprised Maria who used to be in the Rotary. The residents (and several community members)were thrilled. We're having a bit of a problem with some residents using them too much....one boy uses a walker at PH and just needs the wheelchair to get out but he's loving the ride! We're afraid he'll lose the ability to walk so Nelson is going to "hide" his chair for awhile.

Kids are starting to come back from Holiday (amazes me how slowly they come back..miss a week or two of school - no problem? Some are still looking for fees and requirements). We have a new requirement that they register tho' some still try to sneak in! They were also supposed to bring a 20,000 shilling contribution toward food (not nearly enough but a start)...a few have, but most don't - they all have a really sad story or say "I'll bring it in two weeks". Sister said she'd send them home if they didn't have it, but she can't do it!!

It's been raining a LOT -several hours at a time and nearly every day (or nite)....not time for the rainy season yet so farmers are wondering whether to plant or not! Lots of power outages as poles fall.

Monday was a quiet day - worked on a puzzle w. Sanne (from Holland) and Nelson's kids, typed some things, went to the market and had a nice bike ride w. Holly - see how easy this is?

Tuesday was our monthly CBR meeting - lots of "events" coming up...Epilepsy clinic this Thursday; next Thursday is another orthopedic clinic by Katelemwa and March 2-6 the eye doctors from the U.K. will be here for the eye clinic (5 days/100/day!!!). Also, I am way overdue doing a year end report and Financial Statement (not my favorite activities!!).

Wednesday, things started to get busy (remember all that time I lounged away in January?). Didas and I made a year end Financial Statement for the shoe "business"...I'e been really lax keeping up the books and it took us several hours - it was good lesson tho'. From now on he'll keep track (he really was). We didn't do as well as I'd hoped. The Ugandan problem: when we bought the leather originally, Didas said we'd get 40 shoes out of 60 feet of leather and that's how we priced - but it's really closer to 25 shoes (he didn't want to tell me the real amt. in fear that I wouldn't go ahead and give him the money to buy it - same story as the pig shed!). And we didn't sell a lot (maybe that's a good thing)...so we're raising prices after this round (we have ads out at the old prices). It's really trial and error, but he's trying to adapt to American strategies and is willing to change!

Fred and I checked the piggery - the guys made the stalls (brick walls about 3'high) 6' wide instead of the 7' we'd told them - not sure how that happened - some were nearly 7' and the storeroom was 10' wide, and we don't need it that big. The brick layer just shrugged his shoulders and suggested someone could live in the storeroom!!! It's actually funny if you don't get upset - it appears they don't follow a plan...but the guy did have a tape measure! I can hardly wait for Corky to see the project...actually, the construction is good and they appear to be holding the line w. materials/money so I'm getting more optomistic! It appears the builder (and not the buyer) is in control in Uganda!!!

THursday we had the Epilepsy Clinic - Florence was back - saw 48 people! She said the hospital has agreed to send two nurses after the next one...just too many for one! We ate lunch at 5:30 (usually 2) and ended around 7!

While we were at the clinic an older man came to ask if we had any crutches...his son (18) was burning wood to make charcoal to sell to earn his school fees and his foot fell into a pile of burning wood and they had to amputate it below the knee. After the clinic Moses and I went to see the boy - such a good looking kid and so sad! Now he has no leg (a real problem here where everything is so labor intensive) and no way to earn school fees. The dad told Moses that he's already lost 5 children and this is his last. It's just so sad sometimes, it can be overwhelming.
(I learned later that the family tried local "medicine" for several weeks and by the time they came to the hospital it was hopelessly infected - must have been painful! Why do they avoid the hospital - cost? ignorance? mistrust? Who knows? - I ask and ask, but never get a straight answer)

During the clinic a man came to see Sr. J about his nephew, whose parents had abandoned. The boy is 14 and very mentally impaired...the uncle is tired of taking care of him and demanded that Sister take him. She said she'd look into it and get back to him and that it was his family responsibility. The guy said "I'll just let him die"...hard for me to appreciate the desperation - and how rude people can be to Sister when she says "no" or "maybe"....good thing the sisters pray every day!

We had a baby goat born yesterday....we only have one goat given to Sister. And Sunday I get to go to Moses' children's school to watch soccer and netball matches with the balls from the St. John Luther League - he said the kids are so excited!!! I'm the "guest of honor" - wish the St. John kids could be here! I'll send pictures home with Corky. I haven't used the money from the Women of the Church, but Sister and I decided to do something for the elderly - probably new bedding and blankets - much needed!

So, life here is never dull - well there are moments - but it turns quickly. I really miss the little kids and sometimes another year seems too long, but it will pass. I got tired of being at home sometimes - and look where that got me!!! I really appreciate your prayers, thoughts, letters, etc. Hope you are well and looking forward to spring. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY (early but well meant).

No comments: