Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Shortest Blog Ever - 10-22-08

We are in Kampala at a training in how to teach Life Skills. It's only Weds. nite but I came to the mall to get the clasp on my watch fixed - have almost lost it many times! Stores here close at 6!!
Thought I'd get a short chapter in so I don't have to worry about it later in the week.

Last Saturday I biked 18-20 miles following Holly running - no one really keeps track of mileage here, but we got to Kisoga and back. It was hot and dusty on the return trip. Holly is really doing well....she's registered for the Kampala Marathon now (Nov. 23). They only allow 200 people!!!

Birthday went very well...had a lovely dinner with Holly and Shari and they gave me a great clock...they covered the numbers w. white paper circles with some of my more prominent obsessions.....5 was "get up" and 9 was "go to sleep"...some others were "read a novel start to finish", "re-arrange pictures of grandkids", " update blog", "write letters"....all the things I obsess about getting done!

Sunday Providence Home was responsible for singing, etc. at the mass at the Sister's chapel...amazing watching all the kids come - the church is not at all handicapped accessible so they had to be carried up, or crawl up and the wheelchairs lifted after them...quite the project. But they sang beautifully - I nearly cried several times. The matrons and the cook carried up the gifts - baskets of fruit, etc. Very nicely done.

Sunday right after church we had really heavy rain - but power was still on. Sister Goretti and I left around 3:00 for Kampala and trainng. This is just for Health and Economic Development volunteers and counterparts. Education group comes in December during school break. Rooming w. Maria - early to bed and early to rise!! Good to see her.

We're using a Life Skills Training book designed by PCVs- I'm a little concerned that it has a distinctly American slant on things. They aren't as open here as we like to be in the U.S. Also, it stresses discussion style learning - also, something everyone is not comfortable with. Think some of the counterparts are a little intimidated by the material and by the was we Americans rush in w. our opinions and comments! Ugandans are more thoughtful (and speak longer).

The Hotel has a small internet cafe but it's not working too well....has a great pool tho' and sauna. We went in last nite tho' it's been cloudy and cool. Sr. Goretti has a bad cold but is still sitting in on all the sessions - that obedience thing! I'd never make a nun!!! We had to do a short presentation on Peer Pressure which went pretty good I think - she's really a good speaker! We are all giving all the presentations - practice for when we actually do teach life skills. Holly and Shari have already done some and HOlly is encorporating some into her Public Health class at PH.

Food has been fabulous - last nite they even made mini pizzas! They also have matoke but they are really trying to accomodate us crazy Americans.

We are done Friday afternoon and can go back then or Sat. a.m. Maria is coming with and we're doing a little presentation to giveout the mosquito nets she and her friends donated to PH on Saturday afternoon. Next week is back to "normal"....I really am missing PH and hope all is well...even missing teaching (never thought I'd say that). I'm not very good sitting and listening all day!

No word from Curt and Jamie - I think she may be induced today. Wish them luck!!!

That's it - not much happening when I'm not at PH!!! Hope everyone is well....I'll write more next week, but for now will sign off.

No comments: