Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday in Kampala - August 1, 2008

Came into Kampala on the early taxi - had to go to the bank at Garden City Mall to clear up some statement confusion - was going to come Sat., but our Sunday company is now coming Saturday so came today. Will do the blog, get some bagels and leave the big city and return to the country where I belong!!

I keep thinking things will become routine and I won't be writing such long blogs - it's not happening. Sorry, I'm so wordy (but those of you who know me know that's my style). Am really enjoying reading Nickeled and Dimed - sorry I never read it before. Got some great packages yesterday too - and letters (got two from Jean, one from June 30 and one from July 15!!).

Anyway, last Sunday on the way up the hill from the Nkoko Taxi Park (Mujkono trip) back to the convent I got my veggies and fruit and 2 plastic basins for the herb garden. Went down to PH and traded the new basins with the kids for two really old ones (one girl didn't have a basin, but found one in the garbage so that counted - now she has a basin)....kids thought I was crazy! Had to punch holes in the bottom anyway and less likely to be stolen (I hope). Two of the older girls (Jenipher and Medina - in vocational and very nice girls) saw me puttting cow manure in the basins and came back w. me to see what I was possibly doing. They aren't familiar w. herbs - asked if they were medicine, which I guess they could be. They admired my gas stove, electric kettle and flush toilet - all the modern conveniences - no carrying water in gerry cans, heating charcoal, collecting firewood - see, my apartment is VERY impressive!! Ended with a tea party on the "veranda".

Note on bathing, etc. in Uganda...90% of the population goes outside for toileting and bathing....usually the lucky ones have a two stall "outhouse"...one stall is the latrine - a hole you squat over (very egronomic) - and the other is the "bathing" stall - you take out your water and do a bucket bath there in a basin. I do my bucket bath in my indoor shower area (mainly so I can use warm water) so I am really privileged!!! Shower area is just an area with a drain and a lip, but it works well! Also, use it for washing dishes. Also have a tap in my bathroom which is really a luxury!

Monday English was a total, word by word, review for the exam. The shoemaking teacher, Didas told me he reads the test to some of the kids which was a relief to hear....can read and fill in the answers. Several don't read or write either English or Lugandan. He wasn't crazy about the streamlined report card I'd designed but said he's try it (I later revised it and added some categories - don't want to upset everyone TOO much).

Sr. Goretti got a call that a.m. from another Sister in Budakka (north) about a meeting in Kampala for the "stakeholders" - she had no idea what it was about but she and the parish priest were going - asked if I could go too and she said O.K. Father was driving the truck and I was thinking I could maybe get some errands done (didn't). Turned out is was a meeting with Cheshire (our former funders) about the Inclusive Educaiton Program they are starting at some of the schools around the Sisters' homes (will hopefully facilitate putting disabled children in regular schools - but there's a LOT of work to do). Met the newly hired co-ordinator. Two other sisters were there from the north but none had gotten any notice before Sunday and they traveled a long way by matatu to see what was up. I kept bringing up budget, seeing written guidelines, or a copy of the proposal and reimbursing the Sisters' expenses. The powers that be didn't want to talk about money, but we met at a VERY expensive hotel at the Garden City Golf Course (where they are all staying). The Sisters where not happy about the late notice or the lack of information. They hae been pretty much cut out of the planning process but are expected to do most of the leg work - an no guarantee of money for phone, gas. We found out Monday that the group was coming to PH Wednesday - wanted to visit some schools and expected us to notify the schools - it was just awful and so rude to expect the Sisters to do all that work - like they have any free time!

Funny of the day - Sr. G had never been in an elevator before and at the hotel she said she was glad I came because she wouldn't know how to push the buttons!! The two sisters from the north went as far as Lugazi with us in the truck and got a matatu there for a 6 hour trip north (all in one day) and the conversation was heated!! I hope they never get that angry w. me!!!

Holy and Sheri went to Mukono for mail that day too - great package from Church - my "service member" Memorial Day package - Sunday School pictures, letters, balloons, etc. = so fun and thoughtful!!

Got a local newspaper - the latest issue is the conflict with the central government (Museveni's govt) and the Bugandan Kingdom's Government - it's sort of a "shadow government". They have a king (kabaka) and a Prime Minister and offices and everything. The current issue is land "reform"...apparently the Kabaka has a lot of land and the president wants to give some of it away - some say to poor people, some say to his friends and investors. It's created quite a stir!!
Am amazed at how the newspapers can criticize the President!!

Tuesday we had our CBR (Community Based Rehabilitation)monthly meeting - not a lot going on without the funds for the hospital referrals (still hopeful the Italian Dr. will come through again) - but we got a nice donation from my sister and Corky that will enable the guys to do some outreach (boda - motorbike -reimbursement) and maybe get some people who can't afford it to a hospital in Kamapla. Thanks! I never know what they think about my meetings - I always have an agenda and stick to it - they don't say much - maybe they do after?

Math class went bettter (maybe I'm getting better at teaching or they are more used to me). The lower "addition/subtraction" group did especially well - some counting on fingers but who cares! On of the boys (who's probably 20) got 30/30 and was SO proud!! Must be fun for them to see some good grades!! Other group struggles w. simple story problems, but it's getting better and they work hard on them. Now to write up the math tests.

Nelson,the OT who works wiht the severely disabled, and I made up some report forms for his kids - basically whether they can do simple skills independently or not. Will try my Excel skills again -have Holly lined up to help.

Holly started practicing w. the band with her new trumpet! Quite the conversation piece since they practice on a porch right by the main road. We went out on a run/walk again tonite - I misjudged her time and had to run back UP the big hill - am about up to a mile but it's really not my thing - you miss all the great scenery and the bird calls!

Cheshire group came on Weds. It rained really hard and finally there's water in the new tanks - YEA!. Again, I tried to get some answers about their expectations for the sisters and what they will contribute - most were quiet - had to wonder if the sisters up north maybe gave them a rough time yesterday. I feel like I can be direct since everyone expects Americans to be obnoxious!!

Thinking tonite (Weds.) about Melanie (Corky's nephew's wife ) and her mastectomy tomorrow. Went to the sisters' mass at the chapel Thursday a.m. at 6:45 - it's such a peaceful place. No power, so service was by candelelite, kerosene lantern and overcast sunrise. The Chapel is one of those places where the presence of God seems very real - almost touchable. Don't know how to explain it - the Boundary Waters feels that way, too. They ended the service by singing the "Franciscan Prayer" - it's beautiful - ends in "May the Lord bless you and keep you, may he lift his countenance upon you and grant you peace". I had to leave after that because I was starting to tear up! Good luck Mel!!

Gave the English Exam on Thursday a.m. Read it to about 6 and we didn't finish - I kept getting interrupted and they are slow, but they want SO much to do it right. I gave them a lot of answers, especially if they knew it verbally. Next time I'm doing two exams like Math.

The Epilepsy nurse (Florence) came late becasue of a conflict but people just wait. Remember last month there was a young lady who had a seizure and fell into the cooking fire and her arm was so badly burned. It has healed SO nicely - it's scarred but not awful and she can flex all her fingers! We have two young women who come who did the same thing but both had to have their hands amputated! Florence didn't get done till 6:30 - four new people - 30 in all. I'm beat and she did all the work and still had to go backto Kampala by matatu. She is such a gem! Really patient and caring. Moses and Nelson were great interpreters, too. I just sit there and update the records!

Sheri went to Mukono and I got some great packages again (Anne, Mary, Eggerts) and some letters - new picture of Ben!! Everyone asks what I need - really nothing - I do live well by any standards, but I love the letters and the treats and just feeling remembered! Mary, thanks for the picture of book club! Could use some warm socks but for the girls who are in wheel chairs - they don't have shoes and on these cold (60) mornings they could use some warm socks - regular size - (9-11 or whatever it is). Doreen's have big holes in the toes!!!

Thursday was also the feast day of St. Ignatious of Loyola (learned this at Mass). He's the founder of the Jesuits. We had a little "treat sharing party" when Sheri brought the mail in his honor since Sheri went to Fordam, Holly did her internship at Loyola in Chicago and I had 2 years at Georgetown - all Jesuit schools!!! Also, Thursday Jean (my baby) was 24!!

Power was still out this a.m. Was having problems with my kerosene lantern wick - hope I didn't break it. It was too dark to work on it - so, I'm just use the candles and the headlamp - it works, but I love electricity. Have one outlet (and a power strip) and a single bulb dangling from a wire in each room, but it sure lights up the place!!

Again, thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers and the great letters and stuff. I suppose I shouldn't be so hung up on "stuff" but it's contact with home and it means a lot! Things here are good - am really looking forward to the school break (8/8 to 9/9)....have a lot of planning to do for next term, but at least not all the class preparation! You teachers have my sympathy!!!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Kathy - thank you for the prayers. I am at home and am doing fine. There is some pain but that is to be expected. Ruby is taking great care of me (with Todd's help) and I hope to be back to "normal" soon!! My doctors were great and the hospital staff was great as well - with the exception of one overnight nurse I can't complain. Todd posted a long overview of the surgery etc on our blog if you have some extra computer time to check it out. Thinking of you. Love Melanie, Ruby & Todd

Mr.Fogal said...

My name is Brian Fogal and I teach world geography in Montgomery. I was hoping my class and you could converse and you could answer questions some of the students may have. We start studying Africa later this week.
Brian Fogal