Friday, August 29, 2008

End of Kampala Training..Friday, Aug. 29

Greetings again from Kampala. Training is "over" but we stay tonite and leave in the a.m. The "kids" are planning a Prom Nite - with outfits bought from the big market in town, but since I'm not going to attempt going there, I'll be the audience. Had a talent nite last nite that was really funny - some really good acts and some not, but all in good fun! I'm glad to be returning to Nkokonjeru tomorrow. I miss the kids, the Sisters and my little apartment. It was fun to see everyone and hear how things are doing , but I'm done visiting!!

We finished early today and came to the mall with another couple of Senior volunteers. Will finish my shopping and can go straight to Mukono - needed another pillow and a few things I can't get in Mukono. Easier to make fewer stops with my heavy backpack and bags! We haven't been to the PO for over a week and between the 3 of us there could be a lot of mail.

I may be starting a new blog site - password protected - but will let you know when I do. Had a problem with Peace Corps office reading the site, which they have a right to do, but think it would be better to keep it more private. They misread some dates and thought I'd left my site earlier than I did and it resulted in some problems. I'm a little old for someone to be checking up on me!! I realize they are ultimately responsible if I get hurt but it still bugs me! Will figure out a way to let everyone know if I switch! I really enjoy hearing your responses to the blogs...Corky said people mention it a lot...so want to keep you all posted.

Back to events - this will probably be shorter than usual....Training wasn't as interesting as PH!!!
Friday nite Maria and I went to the Shabat service - very nicely done and great food. FUn to be in such a different setting. Saturday we went to Entebbe (south of Kampala) for the Memorial Service for her daughter in law - very nice place (sailing club) and very nicely done. It's by Lake Victoria and has a beach and I sat down there awhile with a mom and her little kids - borrowed the kids for awhile!!! My only function for the day was to take pictures and support Maria and think I did O.K. It was a very emotional day for her.

Sunday training started - good to see everyone. Most are hitting their stride, but some are still stuggling with not enough to do, uncooperative supervisors, problems with expectations (a lot of people think we're here to get them $), or bad housing. Some are switching sites after this....SO glad I have a site I love, great supervisors and plenty to do! Sisters are happy with some peanut butter and instant coffee!!!

Training was mainly about vision statements, mission statements, goals, objectives - it's good stuff and we should be doing it in some fashion, but it's hard when your operation is so day to day and crisis oriented. Maybe if we did long range planning, it wouldn't be so day to day!!! Did find out that the grant I'd hoped to apply for doesn't fund pigs.....too expensive to maintain! Bummer....will maybe try something else to benefit the vocational school. AT least I hadn't done all the work before I found that out.

Trying to get the stove repaired/replaced at PH - the UC Davis group working at Shari's site are willing to help, but we need technical information and supplies from a local group that does stove work for institutions that are supposed to use less firewood. Unfortunately, their quote has more thank doubled since 2 months ago - not sure why....maybe because they know we got a donation (for the original amount) and because the UC Davis people are now involved! Will see if anything got done when I get back...not paying the inflated price!!! It happens.....they are a struggling organization, too, and we are a lot of muzungus.

Had a really sore toe Wednesday night - thought it was infected - just throbbed. Went to the PC doctor Thursday a.m. (they even provided a car!) and it was jiggers.... THey are worms that get under your toenail and multiply - pain was from the pressure of the family growing and pushing up!!! UGH. They have to be cut out so the Dr. did that and it's much better. Kids at PH get them all the time (they are in the dirt). Sisters dig the family out w. a safety pin - the kids just scream! Doctor did a nice job with me! It was a bit embarrassing, but it feels so much better I don't care. Nurses told us to take special care of our feet and I took them at their word.

Thursday we had a "gripe session" with the Country Director...our group was the largest ever in Uganda, the office was understaffed and there have been lots of problems. People feel they are not being supported adequately, there are sites that didn't meet standards, lack of trust on both sides. It's sad that it started out so negatively....maybe it will get better now.

That's about it....hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend. And a great start of school for all of you going.....time is going SO fast. We have another training in October and that should do us till the one year mark. Thanks everyone for the books, letters, thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

sweetmeow said...

I know you don't know me, but if you start a password protected site, I'd love to be included. I began reading your site (and others) at the time my son's girlfriend left for Uganda at the same time you did in February 2008. Unfortunately she needed to return home, but I have continued to enjoy reading of your experiences.

If you would like to communicate with me - email sweetmeows@gmail.com