Friday, March 14, 2008

March 14 - Site Assignment

Wednesday we got our site assignments and Thursday we met someone from our organization - most of us did, anyway. I will be going to Nkokojeru (means "white chicken??) which is a small town south east of Kampala. It's near lake Victoria and many ofthe people there are fishermen. There is a small 60 bed hospital there run by Franciscan nuns (Ugandan) and also, on the grounds is Providence house where I will be working. Thursday we got tomeet Sister Ambrosefrom the organization. There are two volunteers there now who will leave in April/May. A PCT, Holly, will be assigned to the hospital and I will be at Providence House. She will be doing AIDS outreach and home care. Holly is one of the late 20 volunteers and was a hospital dietician working w. AIDS patients and I really like here so that was great. We'll both live somewhere on the hospital grounds.

Providence House is a home for children and adults with mental and physical disabilities. Sister said they have children than have been abandoned because they are hydorcephalic or deformed (club feet, missing limbs, etc.) . The adults are elderly or have some sort of disability - crippled, epileptic, etc. They have a large garden and a bakery where the adults work and the children go to school. I'm not sure what I will be doing but it sounds like there is a lot to do. The two volunteers there also do youth groups and school talks. They have internet (when it works) and also electricity (when it works) so it's looking good for amenities.

There will be another volunteer working with an organization in town (we're a way out), Sheri, who is also great - couldn't have asked for better people to have around. It's about 2 hours from kampala by van taxi (matato).

I think it sounds like a good fit but overwhelming, but I've said that about everything here and i'm still here. Language is coming - I'm working more on it. Need to practice more at home but it's hard.

Wanted to add that in hospitals here you have to bring your own sheets and a family member to bathe you, shop and cook for you and wash your sheets and clothes....

Only downer is that my good friend, Maria, who is almost 66 and just great - she's very outspoken, energetic and loads of fun - will be in Kbale which is almost on the Rwandan border...about seven hours from kampala by bus. I'll get there and we're still planning to meet for my birthday at a nice hotel, but I'll miss her.

We visit our sites from the 26 to 29th of March so I'll know more then.

Hope you are all well and things are going O.K. It actually rained last nite so it's coolerand the dust is gone - things are looking pretty good.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Hi Kathy,
My name is Martha Myers, and my son is Eric, who is part of your training group! You have been able to get online and update your blog more frequently than he has! It's interesting to be able to read the stories and perspectives of other people. I have started my own blog, on which I am putting the updates that I get from Eric when he calls. My husband is a former PCV and a retired school counselor! I have been working with kids who have moderate to severe disabilities for 20+ years, so if I can be of any assistance, please let me know! Good luck with the new assignment!

Julie Carlblom said...

Hi Kathy,
So glad to got to find out your assignment. It sounds like you will be able to use the experience from Level IV to help you!! Take care

Julie

Pastor Patrick said...

Hi Kathy,
I read of St John's website that you had joined the Peace Corps. I remember that you wanted to do this and I think you will do a great job and have a great time. I discribe my time in the Peace Corps in Sierra Leone as the most wonderful, horable, terable, fantastic time of my life. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Blessings of peace,
Pastor Patrick Ziems
pastorpatrick@faithcameron.org

Liz V. said...

HI Kathy, Enjoyed reading your blog. What an adventure! Glad to hear you have your assignment. Congratulations on the Grandchildren Pastor told us at the youth board meeting. All is well there is a mission trip planned to Chicago in July. It is a plus having Christina on the board. You are missed and I did think of you when I purchased my daffadils last week. Another fine project you worked on. Good luck with your assignment I will keep you and Uganda in my prayers
Liz V.