Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saturday Post - Feb. 6, 2010

Im in my usual spot on Sat. a.m. in Mukono at the Internet Cafe. It was raining this a.m. (YEA) and I slept in a bit. Missed the first matatu and got on the next one at 7:00 which didn't leave till 8:15 (don't think I'll do that again) and the driver was really pokey, but I really don't have anything more important to do!

Dick Murray, Corky's cousin on his mom's side) was here for a few days (more later)...he left yesterday and I was really sad. I hadn't seen him for probably 20 years, but it was still neat to have talk to someone who knows your distant past (sort of). Short stay and all at PH, but it was fun!! He and his wife are volunteer for two months in Ethiopia (did last year, too) and he popped down to see Uganda!

After last weeks "novel|, this will be short! Kids are starting to arrive at PH, but slowly. The Vocational Program will be small - Sister has gotten some requests but is holding off because food is tight. We seem to be getting more and more severely handicapped students - maybe things are getting better at home schools for the mildly handicapped. It's a drain on the staff tho'.

Sister is still keeping up the garden projects but the lack of rain (before today) was taking a toll on the banana suckers - kids watered some but there are 400 of them and it's a job! Sunday she was telling me that she went to check on the gardens in Kikwaye and someone had taken the tin sheets and windows out of the gardners "house" there. The gardner left (he's the one who was cutting firewood and selling it on the sly) and a neighbor decided to take the things for his home!!! She contacted the police, but don't know what will be done - if you are not IN it or wearing it or using it it's up for grabs I guess!

Went to Mass on Sunday and it's the first time my morning Bible reading was actually one of the readings!! One of my favorites from 1 Corinthians:13 - about "love is the greatest of these".. Also they sang a neat song at the end - chorus goes, "Holy quiet place, blessed assurance for my soul, on the stormy sea, Jesus speaks to me, and the billows cease to roll"...catchy tune, too.

I've started to clear out my apartment. Collected all my school books and supplies and took them down to Josephine and boxed up my art supplies for the resource room that the German girls started with their afternoon classes. We're expecting two new OT students from Holland Feb. 22. Their program will involve some community outreach but Nelson and I are hoping they will do at least a couple afternoons with the kids at PH each week. Also, getting two OT students from Mulago program next week, so he'll have some much needed help in the classroom.

Until yesterday it's been terribly hot (intense sun) and very dry. Just drink water and sweat - it's hard to get much done after 10 a.m. It's worse than I remember from last year tho' the months in Luwero in training were really hot, too.

Jenny (Becky's friend) is heading back to the U.K. She and Becky went to Kampala on Monday to check out some places where Jenny's charity works. It was fun having her here for the week! They took along Fred, his wife and son Mark (5 in April) who's going to boarding school...I think it's sad, but the parents think it's the best for him, and he seemed excited!

Sr. J and I spent most of the day registering residents - and refused some. People still are not convinced they need to make some contribution (she'll accept a sack of cassava). They don't even bring notebooks or pencils (I raided the Christmas Child boxes for school supplies). In between we wrote up a "job description" for the Administrator of PH; we're getting a new Sister to help Sr. Juliet (Sr. Goretti is moving on - darn)....and Sr. Juliet wanted her to pick what she'd like to take over. I told Sr. Juliet that the new sister will read it, pull off her ring and run down the road screaming!!! It's a heavy load. (New Sister,Sr. Stephania, came Thursday and is young and bouncy and is still here...but hasn't seen the list yet).

I tried to clean up the afternoon resource room but didn't get far - it's just too hot!!! Sister and the kids were carrying water to the banana suckers when I gave up around 6.

Tuesday I went to Kampala and checked e-mails and picked Dick up at the airport around 2 p.m. Actually, I misread my watch (no glasses)and was an hour late but fortunately his plane was even later - African time has it's advantages! Dick has a blog (don't we all) at www.richardmurray.tumblr.com (I think) you might check out to hear his impressions of Uganda and see pictures. He said that compared to Ethiopia, it appears very prosperous. In Ethiopia almost all business is run by the government (ala communist style) and service and consumer goods are hard to come by.

We had a great welcome dinner at Holly's - bless her heart!

Wednesday I took Dick down to PH for introductions and to see how the place works (or doesn't). Cow had had mastitis but Sister got him treated and the new guy is milking and production is coming back up. Big chickens are laying 60 eggs/day (97 chickens) and that's good; little chickens are still healthy - Fred continues to go to Kampala weekly for their medicine - every week for 12 weeks!!! Sister put the female pig we got from Butabika Hospital in w. the new male and he bit her badly! Not sure what that was about!

I got to tell Sr. Juliet about receiving the 2009 Mission Money from St. Johns - she was so excited. Things have been stressful with all the people coming back and it was welcome news. Thank you all!!! The plan now is to use some for immediate needs an then sit and decide on a "project" for the rest - probably either new gardens or the boys' bathing area (they just bathe out in the open on a concrete slab behind the dormitory now).

Weds. evening Becky, Dick and I played Phase 10 - lots of fun (tho' as usual I lost big time). Dick spends a lot of time w. his grandchildren (8 & 12)and is up on games!!!

Thursday we had the epilepsy clinic - 63 patients but it went very efficiently! After lunch w. the nurses, Becky, Dick and I went to "town" for a little shopping and a beverage at Cathy's Restaurant. Took our chairs outside and watched the traffic on the main street - Dick commented that it looked like an old Western town and could use a few hitching posts! While we were gone the elderly man from the refugee program arrived (he's a refugee from the Congo and has had a stroke and was abandoned by his family in Kampala). He's going to be a handful.

Friday the painting of the infirmary started - Becky's gift. It was SO grubby it will be a great improvement. Peter (who painted my apt.) is doing the work. We muzungus had tea (Sr. Juliet is in Kbale for a meeting) and tried to figure out how to get a chair commode made for the new resident, Niccodemeus....Becky is on the hunt!

Dick and I took the matatu to Kampala, had lunch at my favorite Indian restaurant, browsed the bookstore and went to the airport. Got there just at 4 p.m. (our target time). He was leaving at 6:00 and would be in Ethiopia in 2+ hours. Took me longer to get back to Nkokonjeru!!!

Next week we start w. a staff meeting and then a teachers "workshop" Nelson is giving on teaching children w. special needs and then vocational school starts....things get back to"normal". I'm hoping to get to the PC office one day to start the dreaded paperwork!

Best wishes to all - it's February already - I can't believe how fast the time is going. Really anxious to be back in Minnesota and see everyone! Thanks again to you from St. John's for your continuing generosity!!! Believe me, it will be well used! The Sisters squeeze the max out of every shilling!!!

No comments: