Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saturday, June 27, 2009

This will probably be the shortest blog on record....I'm at the Peace Corps All Volunteer Conference - almost over - and don't have my "notes" so will just do a quick review of the week - you are all probably very grateful. I was thinking I'd stop in Mukono on my way back to Nkokonjeru tomorrow a.m. but I'm not sure the internet cafe will be open that early on Sunday and I'm ready to go back to my apartment. Also, tomorrow there is a 1 year Birthday Party for Moses little girl, Fionna, and I hope to get to at least part of it!

Happy Birthday last week to Olivia, Gail and Jesse (tomorrow)...WOW!

The Conference has gone very well - lots of good presentations and some great outside contacts...the Ambassador came by today (he's leaving Uganda next week - being replaced by a new one soon - regime change??). It's been a lot of fun, but very intense and I'm tired. We had a good speaker on Agroforestry from "Trees for the Future"(headquartered in the U.S.) Am hoping to get some seeds to plant from them.

Back to last week. Sunday, we had visitors from Holland (Bake for Life) - fun group. Monday I went with Nelson to Mulago Hospital in Kampala with three of the children from the community he works with and two moms! A VERY long day - I was ready at 7:30 - we left at 9 a.m. and returned at 9 p.m. Had to wait a long time at the hospital - but probably not worse than Mayo Clinic! They all went to the Sickle Cell Clinic and one had then to see the pedicatrician in Acute Care. There were so many sick kids waiting. Plus we were all hungry and tired!

Tuesday I wanted to get lots done before I left but there were lots of difficulties. The guy who was to fix the stove said he would come Sunday (and confirmed it in a text) but didn't show Sunday. He came Monday, but of course they were using the stove. Said he would come "early" on Tuesday, I called him at 10 and he assured me he'd be there in 45 minutes - and came at 2:15. Then, he wanted me to get the materials ready - I was trying to start English class (CBR was finished) and we all were going to a funeral at 3:00! I really let him have it - I really don't usually yell, but I was so mad - I told him at least he could have texted me and told me the truth about coming. Ugandans usually tell you what they think you want to hear!!! He didn't seem repentant at all! The funeral was a last minute addition to the day, too - Moses told us in the a.m. that the grandfather of the little girl staying at PH who we got fitted w. leg braces had died - so we took a truck load (including her, two PH Sisters, Sister Ellen from the U.S., two visiting Brothers, and lots of kids) to the funeral. Her parents were there (she'd been left at the grandparents years ago w. her siblings when the parents split and re-settled). THey were there but there was not a good feeling between them or her and either one and she was anxious to get back in the truck and return to PH (her Grandfather had been her major supporter - grandmother was too busy digging and working).

It seemed like I was behind all day Tuesday - well, I was. Wanted to get things ready for being gone for four days - it's hard!

I am very impressed at the Conference about all the things the PCVs in our group are doing - most seem to really have hit their stride and have some very interesting projects going and keeping busy. Some are still struggling, but all in all, they are doing well. The "oldest" group leaves in October and then we will be the "old" group - WOW! There are two groups behind us - a nice feeling.

Hope you all have a good week.....and a great Fourth of July!!!

2 comments:

S. said...

Kathy - I'm in one of the "new" groups! I'm arriving at the beginning of August to serve as a community health volunteer. I've really enjoyed reading your blog posts!

-Sara

Unknown said...

Hey Kathy:
I haven't talked with you in a long time. I just sent you an email so I thought I'd give you a heads up so you can watch for it.
Love, Terri (Rwandatour)