Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April 1 - Almost 1 year!!!

I'm actually at the Bakery Computer - Sr. Veronica paid for this month so I'm maximizing usage!!! It's Weds. but thought I'd write before this got too long! (it maybe already is) I want to go to Kampala this weekend to see the girls the lady from the UK sponsors (she'd written to me)...and hope to do some shopping but not sure how the time will work out so wanted to get the blog done today. I do so like to cross things off my list!

Back to where I left off - like this was a Soap Opera (well, it sort of is). I came back from Mukono last Weds. afternoon and Didas (the shoemaking teacher) had been locked out of the shoe room!!! (key was in the convent but not in the basket) This key thing is getting old...I will leave keys with Jenifer when I go Friday.

The builder signed the contract to finish within a budget and by April 9 or there's a deduct in his pay...YEA!! Not sure it will work, but it's progress! He does good work, and I sort of think that as long as he's here, he's "employed".....once done he's "unemployed" so he's been making it last.

Thursday our Supervisor, Jolie, from PC came to see the three of us! She came to PH for the tour and a review of my activities...we went over my grant application draft and she suggested I make things here look more organized...I'd made the narrative pretty grim hoping for pity, but she said it's better if it looks like your organization can handle the use of the money - makes sense! I said I'd re-work it over the school holiday (starts 4/24)...brain is too full now! Nice lunch w. Holly, Shari and the Sisters. The three of us sat together after she'd left for a re-cap - actually, we ended thinking we were all doing pretty good work!!!

Friday was the opening of the new orthopedic hospital in Entebbe - CoRSU - built w. donations from CBM of Germany, Italy, Australia and Switzerland. It's BEAUTIFUL. Sister J said it looked like a "muzungu" hospital - it does (except for the latrine alternative - there are toilets but also latrines for those that prefer outside work). Very muzungu ceremony - timed speeches, snacks and sodas after and done quickly! Dr. Antonio (the orthopedic surgeon) and his wife were there (I'm continually amazed at how many people I know when I go to these events). He wants to come to PH next Thursday (2nd) for an orthopedic clinic - YIKES! Called Moses to start to mobilize - short notice and it's Epilepsy Clinic Day, too!!! But it was the Doctor's only time - surgeries start the next week at the new hospital! Moses' response was a slow "that means we willl be very busy" - no problem!! You have to love the guy's optomism and can do attitude (maybe he could work for Obama).

I had the Sisters drop me off in Kisoga on the way home (1/2 hour away) for a village farewell for one of the departing PCVs. His Dad and Sister were visiting, too. Great ceremony - it's a small, poor community but they went all out w. the food, gifts, etc. They seemed to get such joy out of entertaining him - Ican see how leaving is a two way pull - but 2 years is enough!!!

It has been hot, dry and very dusty - it was like this in Luweero last year for training and I thought it was Luweero! We got here (4/10) and it was cool and wet so thought Nkokonjeru has nicer weather - but it was just the change of seasons. But the rain is starting and we're planting the garden on Friday - I'm excited!

Lots on the BBC radio about the floods in Fargo - 100 year floods??? Funny to hear "North Dakota and Minnestoa" on BBC!

The pig shed is progressing - and looking good. I'm a bit nervous about the builder making the door in the big wall - he says "no problem" but they always say that. Fred noticed that someone was sleeping in the soon-to-be storeroom at night!! Supposed it looked cozy; Fred got a padlock!

Sunday we had a party for Kassuli and Janet - two PH residents who graduated from universities this year! Quite an accomplishment for a disabled person - the colleges are not handicapped friendly. The kids got beef, rice and matoke - made it a BIG event. And in the evening Holly made pizza for the Sisters in her little "oven" on the gas burner! Amazing!

Monday was a strange day - as many are. Lots of kids were late for English and I got peeved...ironic thing was that the lesson was polite ways to ask in English! Those on time got candy - I love bribery. After class I edited some written reports for the Holland girls - they are so fun and gung ho!! Didas needed some money from shoe sales to get materials in Kampala Tuesday so I went to my apt. to get it around 11. I went back to work on organization for Thursday, waited for the tailoring teacher (came at 1:30 for 11 class), went home at 3:00 for a cup of tea and my bike was missing!!! Someone had come up on my veranda, cut the lock and took the bike...in the middle of the day! It must have been someone who had planned for some time to know when I'm gone and to have a wire cutters! I was bummed! Fortunately, Holly was home to talk to. We told the sisters and then went to the police station to report it (picture Mayberry). I'm bummed - I really liked the bike! And who would think someone would have the nerve to do it during the day? Theresa warned me about things getting stolen - but I live in a convent!!! Sisters were outraged!

Monday evening I went to the Market w. some of the girls and Holly - they even announced the bike theft on the announcements at the market!!! We had a good time - got "ice cream" from the guy who sells from a cooler on a boda (it's more like a slush) - he plays crazy tunes. Not Good Humor but close - nice end to the day!

On Thursday Moses and I left early w. some children to see the PTs at Katelemwa Rehab Center. One girl, Nantale, was supposed to get leg braces (think 1950 polio ads - really)....I'd called and they said they were ready and just needed final fitting. Well, they hadn't started! We were there 7 hours while they made them. It was decided that she'd stay at PH for a few weeks so we can practice with her walking w. them (she's never walked and has virtually no leg muscles)....she lives w. grandparents. They are heavy and uncomfortable but she's trying!

I called Jamie and Curt Sunday (Curt's Golden BD - 30th) and their Anniv (1st) good to talk to them. But it made me realize the hardest thing about living here is that there are no things that you can take for granted! Like power, but even that things will be done, that people will tell the truth, that things will happen on time, that transport will be reliable.... The locals understand how to live w. it - you live in the moment and use up what you have while you have it and wait if you have to, but I'm struggling. I want to know my lights will work tomorrow and the next day! At least I know I'll have food tomorrow - many don't know that! Still the old "stranger in a strange land" feeling....leaves me sort of unsettled and always on edge - and it's tiring!

Enough whining - everyone has something bugging them! Heard you all got a late snowstorm - but Spring will come. Easter is very soon. We have finals the week after Easter and then report cards and then almost a month of holiday! We have our Mid-Term Meeting then. One year at site almost down and one year to go! It has gone fast. Wishing you all a good week.

No comments: