Friday, December 19, 2008

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL 12-19-08

I may not write again till the New Year, so hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a great start to 2009!! I'm at the Bakery Computer now - Sr. Juliet reinstated the internet and no one else is on today so will give it a shot. I always feel a little guilty writing here - like I should be "doing" something!!!

Lest I gave the wrong impression last week re: donations. I give all the money I get from outside (you all - and thanks!!) to the Sisters (or earmark it myself) for immediate use - and goodness knows they can use it!! But, I got some good advice from China (the PhD student here in April who'd been in Uganda 11 months) to not give ANY money to individuals until lthe day before I leave - otherwise you'd be bombarded with requests...many of them very good, but NO is easier to say if you're consistent! (If I feel really compelled I give it through the Sisters who are sworn to secrecy).

I'm never sure if I should re-arrange this blog from today to past events, but will continue on the old format. The big event when I left off last week was the Christmas Program. Saturday practice was dismal - no power and the keyboard guy didn't come. Josephine was so nervous....she sounded like me! The kids worked hard all morning cleaning up the compound and hoeing around the shrubs and slashing grass. But, at 6 p.m. the power went on and the keyboard guy came (he'd been at a funeral) and they (not me) practiced late. They also had to peel bananas for matoke (cooked, mashed bananas - taste to me about good as that sounds, but it's a staple central Ugandan food), peeling potatoes, cleaning chickens, etc. Most got to bed around 1 or 2 a.m.

I got here Sunday a.m. at 7 and they'd been at it for two hours, cleaning, cooking, decorating....we had Mass here at 8:00 and then the fun began. We had a nice group of parents (and the first parent meeting ever at PH), lots of Sisters (including the elderly) and the kids did a WONDERFUL job!! The play was good, the program moved well (and only 3 hours!!)....the singing was fantastic, dancing was great - just so good.. Then the kids served lunch to all which was much appreciated. Frequent comment was "I can't believe PH put on such a nice program"....the kids were really proud of themselves and rightfully so! Certainly proved that "Disability is not Inability". I left at 7:00 p.m. and they were doing dishes (no paper plates here).

Monday I helped put away costumes and decorations (not nearly as much fun). Kids were still going home. Simon (a 20 year old, shoemaking student who has no function in his legs at all) learned that the grandmother he lived with on Holidays died Sunday(last relative)...very sad. Josephine, bless her, who is in a wheelchair, but can get around on her hands (w. flip flops) and knees said she felt so sorry for him and added "at least I can crawl"! How many times have we said "at least I can walk!". Being here can be very humbling.

We had a really productive CBR meeting on Tuesday - reviewed all the meetings with the various groups that want to work with us (and they seem to be many lately - everyone wants to get into community based programming - must be where the $ are). The Katelemwa pepole had commented that our guys did the best job they've seen of mobiliziing people (getting them to the clinic in November in an organized fashion!) - literally patted them on the back...they are never sure how to take me.

Wednesday I washed clothes and cleaned - it's labor intensive but good to get done. It's been very hot and still - hard to get motivated. Holly and I went up to RASD to see her Kilimanjaro pictures..it was beautiful but looked like a LOT of work - not for me!

Thursday the power was out again - started w. what they call "Phase I" (out of 3)....very limited juice. I went w. Sr. Juliet to Kampala - quite the trip (again). We had along 3 sisters from the convent who were going shopping, 2 kids and Nelson going home, and Nantale (the girl w. the leg casts) and her grandfather (who'd never been in Kampala). Lots of stops, but everything got done. China's mom died unexpectedly this fall and left a memorial to PH and China felt she would want it used to upgrade the little kids dorm room (she visited China here last Feb.), so we got 12 new mattresses, pillows, and paint (and will get new bedding and small foot lockers). Lots of back and forth getting it all done plus drop off and pick up at Katelemwa - traded off w. the truck with the other sisters sometimes switching to matatus....a full day and back at 9 p.m.!

When we were gone one of the elderly men here died...he'd had a stroke several weeks ago and was being cared for here by Nelson and some of the older boys. While I went home last nite, Sr. J (and the residents left and the other sisters) were holding an all night vigil in the PH chapel w. the body (because "you can't leave a dead body alone"). Today was the funeral.....mass early, and a short service at 1:00. Then everyone walked to a small cemetary behind the big church where they bury people w. no family. The big boys had dug the grave and they took the wood coffin there in the back of the red pickup. Lowered it on ropes and everyone threw in a stone and they sang. They covered it and left....very intimate ceremony!

At 4:30 last nite, I'd had it w. a cockroach who's been under my bed for a week (I can hear him but try to tell myself I don't). Got up and "Doomed" (insect spray) under the bed and he came out and I got him!!! Then decided to look in my suitcases under there, got out my "winter" clothes I brought last Feb. and sorted them out for the trip to London!! Leave in a week!!! Gail said it's 40s there - cold for me; warm for them!!

Maria has collected donations for a fabulous Christmas feast here - there are about 50 people still here, 8 sisters and we think about 20 PCVs might come....so we'll give the kids gifts in the a.m.(everyone is being so generous) and all have dinner together! Should be fun! I miss the snow and the Christmas tree and everyone gathered around it, but having something to do and knowing that I'll see some of the family soon helps. We all are a bit down, but coping together! I heard "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" on the radio and nearly lost it!!! At least it wasn't "I'll Be Home For Christmas"! Keep telling myself the weather is more like Bethlehem than Minnesota is.....not sure it's working.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas where ever you are and whoever you are with! It's truly a magical season....May be awhile till I write again...will be gone Dec. 27 to Jan. 5 and Sr. Juliet's Final Profession is here January 6....lots to do yet before school starts Feb. 9. So, have a good New Year, too.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Hi Kathy--I am a 66-yr old woman coming to Uganda as a PCV in Feb. I am an MSW and will be working in the Health Promotion and Economic Development project as a consultant to an NGO--any idea what that is?? Anyway, I would love to hear any tips, words of wisdom. I want to bring my computer--do you think that's OK or should I leave it at home? Just so many questions??
I wish you a very Merry Christmas. Maybe we'll meet when I get there. As you know, the only thing I know is that I'm coming to Uganda..Why are you going to London? None of my business--but inquiring minds want to know :>) Take care and I hope we meet in person--Mary Beth Johnson