Friday, July 18, 2008

Mityana - Friday, July 18 (?)

Lost track of the date....Mityana has been fun - nice to see everyone and the food is great - at least I'm not cooking!! But, I'm ready to go back to Nkokonjeru...wonder how things/people are and enjoy my little apartment. Am reading a great book Julie sent me - When the Crocodile Eats the Sun - about Zimbabwe - would highly recommend it...in fact I'm reading more than studying.

Had fun in Kampala....two stops at NY Kitchen - one for a bagel and one for cheesecake!! Holly bought a trumpet. She was an accomplished player in High School, but hasn't played since. She got inspired by the Providence House band and decided to give it a shot. Not sure if she'll march but she'll be a hit with the band!

We've spent the last two days learning more language - mostly how to answer the ? we have to to pass - "what do you do at your site?", "where do you live?"...should be easy but it's not! Have to use past tense in one questions and a comparison. Have my oral exam tomorrow at 8:30 a.m. I don't know if it will be any better than last time when I choked. The vocabulary is like minnows under a dock...they come out and when they see someone (the tester) they dart back into the shadows!!

Hope to be to Nkokonjeru before dark on Saturday....no stops in Kampala this time (will miss the bagels tho')...Sunday I"m going to the nearby town of Kisoga (v. small). Was invited by one of our older girls to a visiting day at her school there - she boards at the school but comes to PH for holidays - no family. She's a great gal, in S-5 (junior). Has a wheelchair and "walks" w. flip flops on her hands but has a great attitude. She also has a fabulous singing voice and know it would mean a lot if I showed up for a bit. Only other tasks are to wash clothes and prepare for class on Monday.

Have another PC Training in August in Kampala for a week - ugh! But Maria will be there and I hopefully, won't have to take any tests!

This must be the shortest blog on record....hotel we're in is very nice. More like a retreat center with a bar. We have individual rooms and private bathrooms with hot showers!! I got sick on the way up here and spent the first night in my room and really appreciated the self-contained (and private) bathroom. First time really sick in Uganda. Got off the matatu and had such bad cramps I couldn't walk up the road for awhile. Sat on the side to the amusement of several local kids!(about 200 yds to the hotel). Holly waited with me and carried my backpack and her backpack and her new trumpet! Sheri was already there, took one look at me and bought me two big bottles of water and I went to my room. They are such good friends!

Hope everyone is well....Jamie, glad Curt is back home safely. Mel, thinking about you and your surgery and praying for you. Thanks again everyone for all the good thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Thank you for all of the prayers and well wishes. I'm keeping a positive attitude (most of the time) and just counting the days until we have a "normal" life again.

Ruby had so much fun at the party with all of the children. I can't wait to see everyone at the end of September.

Take care, we're thinking about you all the time.

Love Melanie