Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wednesday in Mukono,June 25, 2008

Why Wednesday - had to come to Mukono for a meeting and decided to send a mid-week update in case I don't have computer access over the weekend....bakery computer is sketchy - last Sunday I really panicked because it wouldn't send...went back after a few hours and got the blog to send (phew), but e-mail wouldn't work (and still won't). It's slow here, but at least it's access!

Had a 9 a.m. meeting and got to the Nkokonjeru taxi park at 6:30 - matatu didn't fill or go till 9!! Then they picked up half a dozen people on the road so it was really full! Fortunately I had a book w. me but I finished it (Blood Orange - good, but for women and people of faith). Got to Mukono and it stalled twice before we got in town...driver messed w. some wires and got going again. Had to walk about 20 minutes to the meeting (PC doesn't allow us to take the motor bikes most people use for short trips)....got there at 10:30 (and I HATE to be late). Meeting was rambling on - lady didn't have a clue what was going on - I finally spoke up and said that we need a group name and a purpose (it's a group of organizations in Mukono District that work with Orphans and Vulnerable Children - think the Country office said they needed a group so they called people together but are not sure what to do w. them!). Anyway, I got on the committee to draft a purpose! Some are very poor (poorer than PH) and are hoping some money might trickle their way (probably will stop at the government office - I'm so cynical). Got done at 12:30 and I had to go to the bank and Post Office and have been at the internet cafe for about 2 hours already - it's SO slow, but I wanted to answer my e-mails. Enough background and whining!

Had fun Sunday coloring w. the kids...they especially love the markers. When I got my laundry done and went down to PH two of the girls were playing an interesting game where they throw up 1/2 an avacado pit and catch it before they move 12 little rocks in and out of a circle the drew on the ground - never did get the pattern, but they were intense.

Lots of news about Zimbabwe - Mugabe was losing the election a month ago so he called it unfair and they were having a new one next week, but the opposition party quit because of harrassment...their candidate is now hiding in the Dutch Embassy! Big topic of discussion here!

English class Monday went O.K. I love them but we are both frustrated! the kids want to copy from the board...don't want to think or answer questions. Maybe the subject is too hard (it is for some). I have to remember it's not their first language but many know English well. Only 2 or 3 of the girls ask questions. I think more "get it" but it's not the Ugandan way of learning. Told them I'd use more American teaching - not sure that was a good idea. The teachers here write LONG sentences on the board (in English), with lots of facts, then the teacher leaves the room and the kids copy it all down word for word in their notebooks. Exercises (tests) consist of teachers writing ou 506 questions that the kids answer by copying from their notebooks exactlyl what they copied off the board!! I want them to "fill in the blanks" with their own ideas - like "I feel hapy when _______". May be too hard for a few but most have the vocabulary. If I put down an example they EXACTLY copy my example! We are both stubborn and set in our ways... I wrote in their books last week but didn't have a red pen (do now) so it didn't count to them. Any suggestions?

Spent most of the rest of the day with a lady from Kenya and her driver looking at schools to inlcude in the CHeshire grant program to promote "inclusive education" - having handicapped children go to local schools. Those in the outlying areas particularly can't go..schools can't accomodate them and parents are ashamed of them - handicapped children are often thought to be the result of a curse and hidden. It was interesting and we went to some prety small, remote schools. Saw some kids (primary) in uniforms from schools in Nkokonjery as far as 6 km from town walking home because they want to go to the private school in town and not the government school in the country!

Tuesday, CBR is slow. People have the word that we don't have any money and no sponsorship at the present. THey come expecting something even if it's only $$ for transportation to Kampala...most do seem to get it when we tell them we can't help tho. We're hoping Dr. Antonio can find some donors in Italy and will again sponsor operations which are the really expensive item and impossible for most in our area.

Had Math class - really need to split the class. It just seems so demoralizing to the kids still in simple addition, but guess it can't be any worse than getting 0/20 or 4/20 on a quiz (marked w. a red pen). Just think the kids are slower for whatever reason and got overlooked in the big classrooms! They aren't all impaired - a few are - but maybe they missed parts of years for health reasons or no fees...doesn't take long to fall behind. I'm not cut out to be a teacher - you guys deserve BIG pats on the back. The kids are long suffering - or maybe I'm an funny muzungu!

Went to see how my wardrobe was coming - carpenter was ther and nothing had been done. I really let him have it! Text messaged my "friend" on the town council but I'm ready to give up and have someone else make it and chalk it up to "tuition expense" (Greg's suggestion). I've learned something - don't pay in advance!!! Just hate letting him get away w. it!

Great walk at nite w. Holly - made things better! Clears the brain and it is gorgeous! Made my dinner (a favorite - I still have little variety)...sliced eggplant, chopped tomato, onion and green pepper, crushed crackers, a little taco mix and cheese - it's good!!!

Anxious to see pictures of Olivia....the cow at PH had her calf on Saturday too but it was a boy!
Not in the same category of great happenings but good news all the same!

Hope all are well...now I"m up to 3 :30 and am done at th internet cafe - think I have sores on my rear and really have to go to the bathroom. TMI? Have a good week.!

No comments: